How Many Coats of Grout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TallyReed

I am in the process of grouting the foam board that I have in the enclosure I am building. I am using non-sanded grout and have put 4 coats on now, making each coat a slightly thicker consistency than the previous.

Here are a couple of pics of the progress thus far...

103027-7607252770.jpg
103027-3412354286.jpg

Pretty monotone thus far but once the last coat is applied, I will do some detailing with different shades and colours and then will seal.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looking good. I am in the process of doing my full tank like that also.

At 4 I would call it good. You can put on another slightly thicker coat in the high stress high traffic areas now and call it a day.

What are you going to be sealing with? Or will you be sealing?

-Brandon

TallyReed

Original Poster
I found a product called Excel Waterproofer. The technical data sheet reads as follows:

Excel Waterproofing Sealer is a safe to use, water based, breathable, high binding, clear acrylic, penetrating sealer/primer. It seals, waterproofs, primes and protects. Goes on milky white but dries clear.

• Will not harm humans, animals or vegetation
• Water based – easy soap and water cleanup
• Goes on white, dries clear
• Fast drying – approximately 1 to 2 hours depending on temperature and humidity • Protects against mildew, staining, salts, and acids
• Paintable with latex or oil based paints
• Tintable – using water based colourants (Resulting in a semi-transparent colour).

Matte finish and <100gms/L VOC content. One of the few products that I found that can be sprayed on, which appeals to me as I am thoroughly sick of slopping on grout.

I will apply as many coats as I need to achieve a hard finish.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Let me know how the sealer turns out. I really want to keep a matte look and haven't decided on how I'm going to do that. I wasn't going to use grout most likely. I was thinking about using hydraulic waterstop cement instead. I wouldn't have to seal over that at all and could keep a rock/cement texture throughout, but I haven't completely made up my mind yet.

In the past i've used mod podge and really it worked, but it's not the look i'm going for this time.

-Brandon

Rschasch

claudiusx":21z8z0k1 said:
Looking good. I am in the process of doing my full tank like that also.

At 4 I would call it good. You can put on another slightly thicker coat in the high stress high traffic areas now and call it a day.

What are you going to be sealing with? Or will you be sealing?

-Brandon

I would also like to know different options for sealing. I am in the process of making a foam insert similar to yours, and im about to start grouting!

No idea what sealer to use, or how many coats of grout to apply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom