Ground Walnut Shell Bedding Vs Terrarium Carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone!

This is my first post and I would love some much-needed advice. I am a first-time Beardie owner and I'm still new to this whole thing. I rescued him from my teenage brother who basically neglected the poor thing. I took him home in late October 2018 and he seems pretty content. However, over the last month or so, he's been hiding under his hammock instead of being on top of it basking. He still stays in the basking area but on the bottom of his terrarium.

He was eating his fresh greens and fruits for a while and now I'm lucky if he eats a tiny bit once a week. He eats his protein no problem so at least he's eating but only pooping once a week (he seems to have always been this way?). So one of my concerns is about his substrate in his terrarium.

My brother has always had him in the ground walnut shell bedding but i've read a lot of bad things about anything to do with sand like substrate and I was wondering if I should switch him to the carpet? He's around 5/6 years old and I'm afraid that if I change his bedding that it would stress him out. He seems to really enjoy nuzzling into the sand under his hammock and resting.

I just want him to keep the handsome fella healthy and happy :D

101612-7109914706.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the walnut shell bedding -- it will kill him! You can put him on paper towels for now and figure out what you want to do w/ a substrate --- I recommend either ceramic slate tile or non adhesive shelf liner-- both can be bought at Home Depot - Lowes or your local hardware store- the tile will need to be cut to the size of the tank as the shelf liner as well -- but please get him off the walnut stuff ASAP-- what size tank is he in? Please post pics of the tank and lighting -- my guess is the lighting is having a factor in his behavior as well -- go to top of page click on User Image Uploader -- down load pics -- click on reply at top of message box click on XIMG-- pics should post
thanks Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom