Lighting and heat for new enclosure...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a four month old bearded dragon named Mac. He is a hypo zero translucent purple paradox and is my love bug. I recently switched him over to a larger enclosure, a 36 x 18 x 18 Exoterra. I have a T5 fixture mounted inside, a dome with 100 W incandescent light bulb and a 40 W bulb towards the middle of the cage. I also sometimes turn on a 60 W ceramic heat a matter to increase the ambient heat of the enclosure. He seems to be fairly happy with this, but I wanted to make sure that I was providing the absolute best that I can for him. Any comments or advice would be extremely appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that sounds pretty similar to what I have going. Same tank and all. As long as you're getting a good surface temperature gradient across the tank you should be in good shape. Your T5 should sit about 12'' (ish) above the main basking area for best results. Most importantly, watch how he is using the space. They all have their own preferences so you can tweak it to fit what he wants. If he's sitting in the hottest spot all the time, bump the temps a few degrees. If he's staying off to the side a bit, lower the temps a little, etc. You general setup sounds just right though so it's just minor tweaks as dictated by Mac =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom