Heatmatt and substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm using paper as a substrate for my baby beardie in their 40 gallon but since it's quite cold at night I was going to put in a heat Matt my problem is should I mount it on the side of the tank or is it suitable to go on the bottom even though I'm using paper as a substrate

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How cold is it getting inside the tank? If it stays above about 65 I wouldn't worry about it. I prefer using heat from above via a CHE or a heat projector when needed. The heat mat will heat the surface that's touching it but won't radiate much for the tank as a whole. If you do use one, you'll want to put it on the bottom. Unless it malfunctions, it won't get nearly hot enough to cause a problem with paper. I do advise setting it up so there is airflow underneath the heat mat and using a thermostat for it if you go that route.

BubbleBuddy

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2jas38mi said:
How cold is it getting inside the tank? If it stays above about 65 I wouldn't worry about it. I prefer using heat from above via a CHE or a heat projector when needed. The heat mat will heat the surface that's touching it but won't radiate much for the tank as a whole. If you do use one, you'll want to put it on the bottom. Unless it malfunctions, it won't get nearly hot enough to cause a problem with paper. I do advise setting it up so there is airflow underneath the heat mat and using a thermostat for it if you go that route.
It is right at 65-64 without her 150 watt bulb on and thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom