Set up ready for my new boy...

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Set up ready for my new boy...

Postby peachypink » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:08 pm

So my new baby will be here tomorrow and I finished his set up today. Yes, I DO have an Arcadia fixture with a HO T5 12% on the way this week.

What do y’all think? Testing the basking temps today so it’s in the right place and right temp when he arrives. I found a great twisted log piece that has a nice wide area for him to bask and a carpet that fits perfectly after a little trim. Put a nice flat piece of slate rock for his nails in there too. I’m so excited for him to come, I’m beside myself. It’s been years since Baby passed and I’ve wanted another beardie for a while but was waiting until I got out of the chameleons. Lol. I only have so much room!
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

And my gorgeous boy who will be here tomorrow...
[Click image to enlarge]
peachypink
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Set up ready for my new boy...

Postby AHBD » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi there, set up looks great + the new boy looks like a cool dude. :) It's good to have a big climbing log like that , beardies do love to get up high. My only suggestion would be to get a bigger dome fixture for the heat bulb. Those little ones don't project heat too far out, mostly just concentrated directly below. I prefer the aluminum ones that are about 8-10" wide, sometimes found at Walmart, Home Depot, Agway, Lowe's.

Enjoy your new arrival !
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby peachypink » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:26 pm

AHBD wrote:Hi there, set up looks great + the new boy looks like a cool dude. :) It's good to have a big climbing log like that , beardies do love to get up high. My only suggestion would be to get a bigger dome fixture for the heat bulb. Those little ones don't project heat too far out, mostly just concentrated directly below. I prefer the aluminum ones that are about 8-10" wide, sometimes found at Walmart, Home Depot, Agway, Lowe's.

Enjoy your new arrival !

Thanks!! It’s good to have a reason to be back on here again.
Yea, I haven’t had a beardie for a while and totally spaced when I grabbed it today. Remembered when I started testing the basking temps. It doesn’t do too bad though but I’ll most likely switch it out.
peachypink
Hatchling Poster

Postby Terry15 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:23 pm

Your new boys setup looks great. I’m sure he will love it. Love the basking log. Hoping to see some new pictures soon.
Terry15
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:20 am

I agree that a bigger dome fixture will be good. They are under $10 at a farm store. https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/bayco-10-1-2-brooder-clamp-light.html

I like suspending them above the tank on adjustable stands to make the beam wider and to more easily adjust temps and make the most out of climbing space. If the bulbs get too close to those plastic cross pieces they can melt. I found that covering them with foil under the bulb shields them pretty well. I usually leave the top off anyway (I don't have any other animals in the house) to get the full effect of the lighting.
CooperDragon

Postby Birdie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:32 am

Hey peachy pink,

Just wondering if you got your Arcadia UVB 12% bulb/fixture gmyet and how where you placed it on your set up...? I’m setting up the same enclosure and have one on the way... I just don’t know how/where to mount it. Or whether to set it right on the screen.

Thanks!
Birdie
Newbie Poster

Postby peachypink » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Birdie wrote:Hey peachy pink,

Just wondering if you got your Arcadia UVB 12% bulb/fixture gmyet and how where you placed it on your set up...? I’m setting up the same enclosure and have one on the way... I just don’t know how/where to mount it. Or whether to set it right on the screen.

Thanks!

Hey , sorry...I haven’t been able to bo on in a while. Hopefully someone answered your question. But, I have mine on top of the screen. The Arcadia 12% T5 is strong enough to do that. If it was a 10.0 T8 I would have suggested inside and under the screen top.
peachypink
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Nick1993 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:17 pm

Birdie wrote:Hey peachy pink,

Thanks!

Hey Birdie, I also have the same tank this is how I mounted my Zoo Med Reptisun T5 fixture inside of the terrarium.
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Nick1993
Newbie Poster

Postby Nick1993 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:21 pm

Great looking set up Peachy! Might i ask where did you get that awesome tall Log? I also love that carpet! Finally found a nice background that wraps around all the back and sides, just need to order it. Found the perfect measurement to be 70.5in Wide x 16.5in tall if you ever decide to get one. (;
Nick1993
Newbie Poster

Postby peachypink » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:01 pm

Nick1993 wrote:Great looking set up Peachy! Might i ask where did you get that awesome tall Log? I also love that carpet! Finally found a nice background that wraps around all the back and sides, just need to order it. Found the perfect measurement to be 70.5in Wide x 16.5in tall if you ever decide to get one. (;

Thanks!! If I remember right, both the carpet and log are PetCo. The log is actually an aquarium decor log. It works great!
peachypink
Hatchling Poster

Postby Nick1993 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:53 pm

peachypink wrote:
Nick1993 wrote:Great looking set up Peachy! Might i ask where did you get that awesome tall Log? I also love that carpet! Finally found a nice background that wraps around all the back and sides, just need to order it. Found the perfect measurement to be 70.5in Wide x 16.5in tall if you ever decide to get one. (;

Thanks!! If I remember right, both the carpet and log are PetCo. The log is actually an aquarium decor log. It works great!

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Also best of luck with your new Beard!(:
Nick1993
Newbie Poster

Postby peachypink » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:48 pm

Nick1993 wrote:
peachypink wrote:

Awesome! Thanks for the info! Also best of luck with your new Beard!(:

Ok, I lied. Lol. I just drove by where I got them and it was actually Petsmart.

I’ve had him for a few months now and he’s growing like a weed!

[Click image to enlarge]
peachypink
Hatchling Poster

Postby Gormagon » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:21 pm

He is beautiful!!!

Livin Large in that condo!!!
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures