Humidity: How to handle high humid weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubardad

Normally, the humidity gauge reports around 25-32% humidity but in this last week, humidity has shot up to the high 40s.

Any suggestions how to lower humidity in the habitat while the weather is in a high humid state?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
In the summer time here in MN it does the same thing -- I usually just let it be -- I am not sure how you would lower it -- maybe some one else has some ideas --

Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
High 40s % RH is not anything to worry about.

Constant high 80s % RH and I'd be taking steps , not the level of RH you are talking about.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It doesn't sound like your humidity levels are anything to worry about, but for future reference, I have used a product called Damprid around my dragons without issue. If you use the tub of it, make sure they can't climb up on it & knock it over. The hanging ones might be a better choice otherwise.

fubardad

Original Poster
Aaradimian":1n9lj5co said:
It doesn't sound like your humidity levels are anything to worry about, but for future reference, I have used a product called Damprid around my dragons without issue. If you use the tub of it, make sure they can't climb up on it & knock it over. The hanging ones might be a better choice otherwise.
kingofnobbys":1n9lj5co said:
High 40s % RH is not anything to worry about.

Constant high 80s % RH and I'd be taking steps , not the level of RH you are talking about.

Everyone... thank you for your comments. I was under the impression that I "MUST" keep the humidity to under 30% because if I dont... a URI can easily happen. I will admit that is what I get for taking an opinion from a FB bearded group moderator and didnt look at it more closely.

Again, thx as I am still learning. =)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
those people on FB must all be stressing w/ that kind of info
Karrie

fubardad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":186ft4lc said:
Karrie
While I like to see different opinions and ideas... I do have to admit that some of these people are toxic. I think, at this point, my views of just looking at the posts arent even worth it and disregarding the groups entirely is the best plan.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Its always nice to get different ideas but when they are just plain wrong you haft to wonder if some of those bearded dragons are even still alive or are very sick-- I am not talking the humidity thing but more serious things going on- I have never been on FB bearded dragon forums - I think I had heard a while back it was not very good advice and people were rude and just not a good deal .....

Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
fubardad":3mwmi0pi said:
KarrieRee":3mwmi0pi said:
Karrie
While I like to see different opinions and ideas... I do have to admit that some of these people are toxic. I think, at this point, my views of just looking at the posts arent even worth it and disregarding the groups entirely is the best plan.

excellent plan IMO , no … i'm not a fan of anything FB or Yahoo.

40 percent humidity is fine. 30-50 is an ok level, anything. Higher than 60 percent more than a couple days is when you would think of changing things a bit but even 60 isn’t terribly bad.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Karebearfreezepop0":1bkw2mx9 said:
40 percent humidity is fine. 30-50 is an ok level, anything. Higher than 60 percent more than a couple days is when you would think of changing things a bit but even 60 isn’t terribly bad.

60% to 70% is NOT A PROBLEM , if the humidity is going to be over 80% RelHumidity for more than a few hours , this is perhaps an issue , though people I know who keep and breeded bearded dragons who in Darwin , Cairns and other genuinely tropical monsoonal areas seem to do OK with their pet bearded dragons who are housed permanently in outdoor pits and bird aviary style enclosures (even during their wet season).

I live in a subtropical coastal area ( north coast of NSW , Australia ) and I rarely see %RH under 60% in summer inside my airconditioned home , will be higher humidity outside . We have wild eastern bearded dragons in the area , sometimes I see these in my garden.
There are locals who have breeding groups of central bearded dragons who are housed outside 24/7 most the year except over winter , I've not heard of any developing RIs.

Yes thats what I was trying to say but perhaps didn’t type it all out as I should have said. I was just giving the most ideal humidity levels. That I’ve read... and I’ve read a lot. So I was telling the person that 40 is fine but when it starts rising and it stays at high levels then there’s things they could look at to help those levels. Like add a dehumidifier to the room if the room is causing high levels or I am going to be buying a little bag of the damprid stuff that someone mentioned above because my dragons tank has been getting up there since it’s summer time. Don’t want to chance it! Would be good to have on hand!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Karebearfreezepop0":bs6l1ap6 said:
Yes thats what I was trying to say but perhaps didn’t type it all out as I should have said. I was just giving the most ideal humidity levels. That I’ve read... and I’ve read a lot. So I was telling the person that 40 is fine but when it starts rising and it stays at high levels then there’s things they could look at to help those levels. Like add a dehumidifier to the room if the room is causing high levels or I am going to be buying a little bag of the damprid stuff that someone mentioned above because my dragons tank has been getting up there since it’s summer time. Don’t want to chance it! Would be good to have on hand!

No absorbant substrate & no permanent water dish goes a long way towards cutting back the in tank RH.

Yeah I already tried that stuff, and I even put a little dehumidifier in the room near his tank but I guess. That’s all I can do right now besides put in the saliva type stuff, if I feel the need to resort to that! And the bearded dragons located here that have been in captivity are definitely different then the ones that are native to their homeland I strongly believe that. Over time and generations change things a bit, so I just don’t want to end up with a health issue with my beardie if I can help it! For sure! We’ve already been through a lot! Must be nice living in a place like that tho! I live in Maine where we get two feet of snow dumped on us in a couple of hours. Yuck

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Wild bearded dragons here in Australia are pretty "bullet proof" …. natural selection culls out those with poor genetics.

I think many of the problems with captive breed from several generations of captively bred ancestors and inbreeding overseas is a big factor in the health issue people come up against against ( poor genetics ), just tends to make them frail cf their wild cousins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom