Custom Enclosure Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maiba

Hello all! I have a little boy, lip, who is only 6 months old. But as he gets closer to his adult size I want to provide a better home for him than his 40 gal breeder. I’ve tried finding some online and even on this thread, but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for. I plan on constructing it myself and I would love to keep the cost below $200. I would definitely consider converting a furniture item into an enclosure, but I’m not really sure how to go about that, or building one from scratch works too. I’m looking for something 4’ by 2’ by 2’ with a place to have a basking light and uvb. If you have any ideas, information, plans, or tips please let me know! Thank you :)

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

I don't know if this will be of any help aside from inspiration, but this is what I did for my "oldest". It's a converted bookshelf/storage unit that was a built-in. Originally, the sides and back were solid and there were shelves, but I took those out & cut out the back & sides with a jigsaw. You might be able to get something cheap at a used furniture or antique store to use as a starting point. The screens (front/sides) and plexiglas (back) cost around $150 in materials, but you could do it for cheaper if you don't make such big windows. The only thing I'll mention is that if you leave it open like I have, you'll have a harder time keeping it warm. I had to buy a small dog bed and put it under the carpet with a thermostat to keep ground-level around 90* near his log. The lamps are sufficient to keep his basking spot at a good temp, though.

100140-51854505.jpg
100140-1486974936.jpg
100140-2122807103.jpg

maiba

Original Poster
That is an awesome custom build! You must really love your beardie to spoil them like that :) using plexus glass was a great idea since you don’t have to use the sealants for that. Thank you for the idea!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
maiba":2dok76t7 said:
That is an awesome custom build! You must really love your beardie to spoil them like that :) using plexus glass was a great idea since you don’t have to use the sealants for that. Thank you for the idea!
Thanks! Yeah, he's great :) To hold the plexiglas to the wood, I just used little plastic screw-in mounts near the 4 corners and mid-points of the pane. The panes actually sit on the bottom mounts. I didn't want to risk out-gassing with a sealant, so everything you see is either these, staples, or screws. Oh, and the screen is not regular vinyl, but a thin metal mesh, like hardware cloth only a lot more densely spaced. I didn't want him climbing it & possibly hurting himself or being able to tear through it with his claws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom