Nightlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mossycrab

(This is my first time using the site please dont bite) I've had my beardie since August of last year and have been struggling on what to do regarding the need of a nightlight. Is it entirely necessary? I'd feel bad leaving him in complete darkness and worry he'd get cold at night. I'm currently using a bulb labeled as ExoTerra Reptile UVB100 for his nightlight (granted I'm terrified since it is pretty bright and I worry it affects his sleep) his actual basking light is a ExoTerra intense basking spot 120v 60Hz 75w. The hot side is typical 85 - 100° depending how much I'm messing with the tank. I'm sorry if any of this sounds confusing or silly, I just worry for my little gremlin.

SPandS

Juvie Member
Think of it this way, do you like sleeping in a room with a ceiling light on all night long? I know I don't. If you need to up the temps at night use a ceramic heat emitter. They put out no light just heat. I use them for both of my dragons as I live in an older house with drafty old windows. Make sure the fixture is rated for the wattage and has a porcelain or ceramic base as che ( short for ceramic heat emitter) can get very hot.

A lot of people use them with a thermostat so it will turn on and off as necessary. I myself use a dome with a dimmer and just adjust when it needs to be.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Where did you get your dragon?- please post pic of your set up -- go to top of page click on user image uploader - down load pics of tank and set up - click post reply click on XIMG at top of the message and it will post--- get rid of the night light- dragons are like us they sleep in the dark- basking and UVB should be on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs -- the night light hurts their eyes -- what are your temps dropping to at nite?- tank temp should be no less than 65 degrees-- basking 90-105 or so cool side of tank around 80=-- Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
KarrieRee":36rjg5vp said:
Where did you get your dragon?- please post pic of your set up -- go to top of page click on user image uploader - down load pics of tank and set up - click post reply click on XIMG at top of the message and it will post--- get rid of the night light- dragons are like us they sleep in the dark- basking and UVB should be on 12 hrs and off 12 hrs -- the night light hurts their eyes -- what are your temps dropping to at nite?- tank temp should be no less than 65 degrees-- basking 90-105 or so cool side of tank around 80=-- Karrie
I keep my dragon on a 14hr day set on a timer 12hrs is not enough to metabolize their food well enough...IMO.
Using ANY type of light of ANY COLOR is not recommended as it disturbs sleep patterns and, causes stress. They like it to be dark and, cool at night so they can slow their metabolisms and, actually get rest when they sleep.
As long as the room temps don't drop below 65F at night you won't need an added heat source. If it does get lower, you will need a CHE to aid in keeping it up around 70F

Mossycrab

Original Poster
Gormagon":2q4qtjjx said:
KarrieRee":2q4qtjjx said:
I keep my dragon on a 14hr day set on a timer 12hrs is not enough to metabolize their food well enough...IMO.
Using ANY type of light of ANY COLOR is not recommended as it disturbs sleep patterns and, causes stress. They like it to be dark and, cool at night so they can slow their metabolisms and, actually get rest when they sleep.
As long as the room temps don't drop below 65F at night you won't need an added heat source. If it does get lower, you will need a CHE to aid in keeping it up around 70F

I typically leave the basking light on from the time I get up 6 am-ish to 8 pm, tonight I'll test it without the nightlight I currently have and see how low the temperature will get. If it falls to 65° or under I'll look into getting what you recommend ^^; it'll certainly be interesting considering I haven't slept in a completely dark room since I got him. As for where I got him I'm unsure, since he was supposedly from a beardie breeder rather than a pet store.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
You can get a timer for around 10 bucks at Lowes, this will keep him on a schedule "they like those". Mine is on at 6am and, off at 8pm, without delay every day.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":1ba89c1g said:
You can get a timer for around 10 bucks at Lowes, this will keep him on a schedule "they like those". Mine is on at 6am and, off at 8pm, without delay every day.

I concur …. a timer (like those sold for table lamps) are the way to go.

I use a 7 day programmable domestic timer, lights are on 5:30 am every morning, off 9 pm every night.
I know my bluetongues and bearded dragons wake up shortly before their lights turn on as I'm regularly up at 4 am and even though it's dark still , their heads are up and they are often already on their hides waiting for the lights.
The water skink likes to sleep in and usually doesn't wake up til about 2pm , spoilt and lazy.

This is the timer I use : https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-24-7-slimline-digital-timer_p4420556 , I'm sure you can find something similar over there.

Make tank more thermally efficient (and warmer for less wattage day & night) ,see this for two alternative glass tank conversions , and two alternatives to glass tanks , that are easy to do : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=247863

Mossycrab

Original Poster
Gormagon":moupfuwy said:

Morning update: He seemed fine!! I was frequently checking the tank's temperature till about 2 am and the lowest it seemed to go was 72°? I suppose that means its all good right?

SPandS

Juvie Member
Yup, it's all good and no additional heat is necessary for night time.

I do agree with the others in getting a timer though. I use them for my dragons as well as my aquariums. I love not having to worry about getting up to turn them on on days when I want to sleep in or if I'm not feeling well, or even days (or nights) when I'm not home.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Mossycrab":2pt9r0db said:
Gormagon":2pt9r0db said:

Morning update: He seemed fine!! I was frequently checking the tank's temperature till about 2 am and the lowest it seemed to go was 72°? I suppose that means its all good right?
Yes, this is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom