This damn dragon....need help with temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

reereejugs

Original Poster
Gormagon":17fw0m2x said:
If that is the case, I would suggest getting a nice background to wrap the back and sides
Then get a sheet of 1/2" styrofoam and cut it to fit the back and sides. This will allow you to supply heat easier. I did this on a 75 gl aquarium I used for an enclosure a few years ago, man what a difference .
I didn't mean to come off as crass, I was just worried about your dragon.

No, I got you. I didn't think you were being crass & I'm worried about the little dude, too. He's my baby & I love him. Before he came along I never knew reptiles were capable of affection.

Good idea about wrapping the sides, I didn't think about doing both. I was planning on doing one side already but yeah. Wouldn't the heat lamps melt the styrofoam or did you mean put it on the outside?

I have the temps leveled out for now but I'm having to use both bulbs in the combo fixture AND turn the che halfway up.

reereejugs

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":fp360pks said:
reereejugs":fp360pks said:
Can anyone recommend a good reptile vet in STL that doesn't cost an arm & a leg?
try searching here : https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Thank you! Looks like there's an exotics vet in Chesterfield but it says she's a new grad. Is it a good idea to take him to her since she's new? Or should I stick with the one in Union who doesn't specialize in exotics but supposedly has years of experience dealing with reptiles?

And I'll try a different temp gun but its reading accurately compared to a different probe thermometer (not the one I was using) & the temp guns they use on their reptiles at the local pet shop. Meaning they're all within a couple degrees of each other. Anyone have a link to a temp gun y'all think I should be using? Walmart in my town doesn't have any & I've seen people here saying to get one from Walmart.

He's back to hanging out on the hot side again & he's pooping normally. Every 2 days like clockwork--all over me if he gets the chance lol. His appetite is good once I get him to start eating but he won't open up on his own for the first bite. He also won't eat for anyone but me & insists on eating his baby food off of a baby spoon ?. He's letting me sneak some worms into his mouth & is *finally* starting to show some interest in them if I put one right in front of him but he makes no move to catch them on his own. Like I said, I'm taking him back to a vet as soon as I get my tax refund. If he does have that virus, from what I can tell online, there's no cure so I really hope he doesn't have it. Wouldn't he be stargazing if he had it? He never does that.

Oh hey, one more thing guys. The kid who had him before used to "help" him shed, meaning pick his skin off when shedding began ?. The whole time I've had him, his skin has felt kind of papery & sometimes his toes don't completely shed. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Does anyone here experienced in bearded dragon husbandry live in my area who could maybe stop by sometime & help me? I'm on the Franklin/Crawford county border in MO.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can always take the gun you have to the reptile store and compare w/ the one they have to see if its working right before you buy another one- you can get them from Home Depot or any hard ware store local in your area

Karrie

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
reereejugs":2sr4f5bu said:
Gormagon":2sr4f5bu said:
If that is the case, I would suggest getting a nice background to wrap the back and sides
Then get a sheet of 1/2" styrofoam and cut it to fit the back and sides. This will allow you to supply heat easier. I did this on a 75 gl aquarium I used for an enclosure a few years ago, man what a difference .
I didn't mean to come off as crass, I was just worried about your dragon.

No, I got you. I didn't think you were being crass & I'm worried about the little dude, too. He's my baby & I love him. Before he came along I never knew reptiles were capable of affection.

Good idea about wrapping the sides, I didn't think about doing both. I was planning on doing one side already but yeah. Wouldn't the heat lamps melt the styrofoam or did you mean put it on the outside?

I have the temps leveled out for now but I'm having to use both bulbs in the combo fixture AND turn the che halfway up.
Do it all on the outside. This will insulate the glass from the cold and, hold in heat. you can also put a towel over half of the screen top to help hold it in at night when you are using the CHE. If you do this you will only need one light for heat and, the UVB during the day and, the CHE at night.

reereejugs

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1v3y9m9k said:
You can always take the gun you have to the reptile store and compare w/ the one they have to see if its working right before you buy another one- you can get them from Home Depot or any hard ware store local in your area

Karrie

That's what I did a couple days ago.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
reereejugs":62cy0kcm said:
kingofnobbys":62cy0kcm said:
reereejugs":62cy0kcm said:
Can anyone recommend a good reptile vet in STL that doesn't cost an arm & a leg?
try searching here : https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Thank you! Looks like there's an exotics vet in Chesterfield but it says she's a new grad. Is it a good idea to take him to her since she's new? Or should I stick with the one in Union who doesn't specialize in exotics but supposedly has years of experience dealing with reptiles?

<<< Hopefully she'll be supervised by an experienced vet or consulting with one ,
does it she has any fellowships / endorsements in her VC ?

And I'll try a different temp gun but its reading accurately compared to a different probe thermometer (not the one I was using) & the temp guns they use on their reptiles at the local pet shop. Meaning they're all within a couple degrees of each other. Anyone have a link to a temp gun y'all think I should be using? Walmart in my town doesn't have any & I've seen people here saying to get one from Walmart.

He's back to hanging out on the hot side again & he's pooping normally. Every 2 days like clockwork--all over me if he gets the chance lol. His appetite is good once I get him to start eating but he won't open up on his own for the first bite. He also won't eat for anyone but me & insists on eating his baby food off of a baby spoon ?. He's letting me sneak some worms into his mouth & is *finally* starting to show some interest in them if I put one right in front of him but he makes no move to catch them on his own. Like I said, I'm taking him back to a vet as soon as I get my tax refund. If he does have that virus, from what I can tell online, there's no cure so I really hope he doesn't have it. Wouldn't he be stargazing if he had it? He never does that.

Oh hey, one more thing guys. The kid who had him before used to "help" him shed, meaning pick his skin off when shedding began ?. The whole time I've had him, his skin has felt kind of papery & sometimes his toes don't completely shed. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Does anyone here experienced in bearded dragon husbandry live in my area who could maybe stop by sometime & help me? I'm on the Franklin/Crawford county border in MO.

reereejugs

Original Poster
ONE more question.

How do I go about taking him to the vet in this freezing MO weather? I know about wrapping him up in Hot Hands & a blanket, stuffing him down someone's shirt, & blasting the heat but I don't think that's gonna cut it in these temps. I did that last winter on a day that wasn't nearly as cold & he still lost way too much body heat. Idk when its gonna warm back up & if I take him to the city its gonna be probably a 3 hour round trip, give or take.

I should probably wait for spring, huh?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Once hes inside the car w/ it warmed up he should be ok but definitely put hand warmers in a blanket etc ........... I have invested in a small animal carrier for Hiccup - pd $50 for it at Petco - plenty big enough for him --- your only gonna have him "outside" for a few minutes - I think hand warmers last for about 4 hrs --
Karrie

reereejugs

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1izlada4 said:
Once hes inside the car w/ it warmed up he should be ok but definitely put hand warmers in a blanket etc ........... I have invested in a small animal carrier for Hiccup - pd $50 for it at Petco - plenty big enough for him --- your only gonna have him "outside" for a few minutes - I think hand warmers last for about 4 hrs --
Karrie

I have a small pet carrier for when my cats have to go to the vet that I can use :) They hate car rides & freak out if they don't go in the carrier lol. Lester loves car rides & likes looking out the window but don't worry, the driver (usually me) is never the person holding him.

I can't really blast the heat on high for that long of a drive because it dries my skin out really bad & gives me & one of my daughters nosebleeds & severe headaches. Same reason I keep my apartment in the low to mid 60s year round. It's not that we don't get cold, it's that too much forced air heat like that physically hurts us. The doctor says its because of severe year round "seasonal" allergies, chronic sinusitis, & asthma. Some other stuff too, I forget what, I just know neither of us can handle it for too long. I can have the heat cranked up all the way in the van for like 15 minutes max before having to turn it back off for a while then rinse & repeat. It sucks because it's not like we don't get cold.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It doesnt need to be blasting the whole time your in the car- just have it warmed up a steady temp even 70 is fine -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom