Newbie vivarium help

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve72

My son got a baby beardie a while back and we had him in an old 10 gallon tank, obviously he outgrew it. I did some (not enough apparently) research, mostly on this site about building a viv for him. It's 4' x 3' x 2', nice size for him to run around in, three levels, etc. I used plywood for most of it, flooring is slate tile that is grouted. Unfortunately, I used some cedar that was laying around from rebuilding our decks this last fall as supports around the edges. I didn't know until I had it built that cedar is bad for beardies. However, I did coat the whole thing in polyurethane. We waited about a week before putting him in there. He was quite happy until I came home last night and his saw that his eyes were a little puffy and he was a little lethargic. A few questions. 1) Do I need to replace the cedar supports with some other types of wood? 2) Or, do I just need to let the polyurethane cure longer? I think it started off-gassing fumes once we added the heat. 3) Would leaving the heat lamp on help the polyurethane cure faster and prevent more off-gassing? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom