Too close to UVB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a great piece of driftwood in Robert's tank that he loves climbing to the top of. However, with his UVB tube (Reptisun 10.0 T5) mounted to the inside of the lid of his tank, he's only about 3-4 inches from the bulb when on top of his log. Is that too close? Due to the shape of the log I can't really rearrange it so he can't get that close, and there aren't a lot of options for mounting the UVB elsewhere either. I don't want to put it on top of the lid, as it's mesh with plastic cross bars. My other option would be to build a new lid with the UVB fixture built in to it higher up. Any thoughts?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
3 to 4 inches is pretty close of the t5ho 10% tube is under a mesh lid and in a reflector hood, but well inside the natural exposure range that wild bearded dragons are regularly exposed to in their natural range in summer.
see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234752&p=1806285#p1806285 ie as high as 500 microW UVB/ sq.cm in summer in central tropical Australia on a clear day at noon.

If you can't move the basking spot.
The options are to get about 180 - 200 microW UVB/sq.cm your choices if the basking spot is a fixture are :
1) remove the reflector from the hood , this will halve the UVA & UVB and the optimal distance becomes about 5 to 6 inches.
2) move the hood and T5ho 10%UVB tube higher by about 5 inches.
3) replace the T5ho 10%UVB tube with a T5ho 5%UVB tube or a T5ho 6%UVB tube and leave the reflector hood where it is now.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
It would be easiest and best to change your basking log to one that will have the t5 12” away instead
My boy has resin logs that take him to 3-4” from the uvb and I’m getting the t5 mounted in in next couple of days so I will have to replace his basking spot too
I’m going to use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Terrarium-Decor/Komodo-Basking-Platform-Large-Brown/B00692BBA6 because in my 18” tall viv he will 12” from the t5 when on it

The reason I say it would be better to change the basking spot is so that you aren’t changing the amount of uvb output so the floor of tank still gets some uvb too.
You can’t beat a t5 ho 12% ( or 10% depending on brand) 12” from basking spot I’m told so it would be better to change decor than change the light. Also if you t5 is half the length of your viv then you can give him higher climbing items in the cool end as you can build that up higher with no t5 overhead on that side
Maybe his current basking log could become a cool end sanctuary for him to build muscle :)

TinyBeagle

Original Poster
Thanks all. I figured that it basically would come down to changing the placement of the UVB fixture or changing out his log (which I hate to do because he loves it!). He does have a magnetic 'rock' ledge that he also likes to bask on, so for now maybe I'll move that to be under the UVB/basking lights and take out the log.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom