Adding to Encloser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I have kept my beardy baby's tank relatively empty for the time being until she grows a bit and got used to the new home. She's now 4 months old, and I have had her for about 2 months. When do y'all think I could start adding more to the tank? Any suggestions on what to add? Note that this is an old picture the morning of cleaning day. The pebbles were left scattered otherwise she doesnt eat them. It was during a few days where the crix delivery was laaaaate. She's normally fed lots of crix and always has collard greens & dandelion leaves.
101824-8187062996.jpg

OnyxFlame

First, keep in mind that bearded dragons grow to the size of the tank, and I'm pretty sure if you have more things in the tank, it most likely won't grow as big.

You could probably start adding more when it is around a year old.

I would recommend getting a background for the tank, or some leaves that hang on the wall (you can get both at PetZoo). You could also get a hammock for it as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would recommend getting a 75-120 gallon tank w/ front doors as soon as you can --- as far as lighting goes the UVB should be in the tank -- the screen is blocking alot of those rays -- what kind of UVB is it ? Here is what is suggested for UVB
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
you can use newspaper wrapping paper for backgrounds -- make sure its on the outside of the tank -- he needs to be able to get under that UVB as it looks now hes only able to get under the basking light- I would get a infrared heat gun for actual basking temps -- from Walmart Home Depot or Lowes for around $10 - get a digital probe thermometer for your cool side -- basking temps for a baby should be 105-110 they like it warmer and then 95-105 or so for older dragons -- I would switch to dubia roaches for a staple -- they need to be eating at least as many crickets or dubias as they can in 15 minutes dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week --- dubias are alot easier to keep in a tote or 10 gallon tank and fed carrots squash apples strawberries --- they can be ordered on line if your pet store doesnt sell them --- search dubia roaches - check out abdragons.com- rainbowmealworms.com or amazon - suppliers there offer free shipping - vegies need to be offered every day here is a website for that •
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
If you go w/ a hammock please get a cloth one -- the mesh can cause them to get their nails caught in it -- www.etsy.com/beardeddragon has some nice stuff -- other things that can be changed for easier cleaning is the substrate -- textured non adhesive shelf liner or slated ceramic tile both from Home Depot or Lowes for really cheap I would not get the tile tho if you decide till you upgrade the tank -- the shelf liner is easier to do / the tile needs to be cut w/ a tile cutter but both can be cleaned w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle --
Karrie

Ellentomologist

Hatchling Member
OnyxFlame":3uru385b said:
First, keep in mind that bearded dragons grow to the size of the tank, and I'm pretty sure if you have more things in the tank, it most likely won't grow as big.

You could probably start adding more when it is around a year old.

I would recommend getting a background for the tank, or some leaves that hang on the wall (you can get both at PetZoo). You could also get a hammock for it as well.

This is completely false. No animal, as far as I am aware, actually grows to the size of it's enclosure. Animals can have stunted, abnormal growth from an enclosure being to small, but this normally shortens their lifespan and is completely unhealthy. An animal kept in too small of an enclosure may be smaller, but that is due to the poor environmental condition causing failure to thrive. This probably is what you were trying to convey, but I just wanted to clarify as it is a myth I see a lot that really steams me (especially when it's applied to goldfish).

With this in mind, graduating an animal from a small to a larger tank as need be is perfectly acceptable. What size is the tank you have now, Deabrua? It looks like a fine size for a young dragon, but they grow quick! Make sure your animal always has adequate space to move around in.

On that note, 40 Gallons is generally considered the smallest acceptable living situation for an adult dragon, but in general the larger the enclosure the better (to a point; obviously it has to be something you can fit in your house and afford to heat). I have Guac in a 4 foot by 18 inch by 18 inch enclosure I built myself which is about the same as 52 or 53 gallons in volume, but a little less than half of his tank has a secondary platform for him to bask on. Essentially, his floor space is about 9-10 feet total, with the section under the basking platform serving at the hide he usually sleeps in (he has some fleece there he likes to hide in). On top of that he has two other hides and some nice big branches to climb around in, plus a BD safe plant in a pot that I swap out every couple weeks (right now it's a basil plant that he's eaten most of. Jerk.).

A lot of KarrieRee's suggestions are spot on.

Personally I don't like the use of pebbles. I don't think they look good and I don't know what your dragon gains from them, plus if she did eat them it could be a disaster. Another thing I don't like is the way you have that piece of wood - hard to tell from the picture but I really worry it could fall and injure your dragon.

None of that answers your question though... Here are a few things I would add:
-Another hide. Something with a closed end so the dragon can truly feel "hidden". The split log you have is great and my dragon LOVES his, but they don't really allow the animal to feel as protected as they want to half the time.
-Fleece for playing in.
-Hammock - Cloth is better as previous posters mentioned.
-More wood - The wood you have in there is great! But please make sure it has no risk of falling/shifting in a way that may hurt your animal.

Overall BDs are fairly simple animals that don't need a complicated set up. They do benefit from enrichment, but you can generally give them more bang for your buck by rotating one or two of a few enrichment items into their enclosure at a time then the same three for their entire life.

Hope this helped and wasn't to rambly. Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Best,
-Ellen

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
This is old guys, she's getting a 224G tank now :D

In any case, the UVB tube is a T5 10.0 with reflector, meaning even with the screen it was too close at the time of this picture. At time of picture, she was 4 months and probably around 7 inches or something of the sort in a 20G long tank (30x12x12). She's currently just shy of 10 months and probably longer than 15 inches. She's stuck in the tank still because the larger one has been continually delayed, however all it waits on now is doors.

Dubias are a no go, she's currently on crickets and BSFL. I'm open to other suggestions, but as with Dubias many will not be able to be stored in the house.

The new tank will have fake rock structures.

(I'm literally reading more, editing, repeating, btw) - shortly after post tank was rearranged to have the log resting on the half hide in the same corner as where the therm was and food dishes moved to where the hide was. (diff dishes now as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom