Is this enclosure fine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
I got my bearded dragon on Oct 22nd, over a month and a half ago. At the time she was 2 months old, and she's now around 3 and a half months old. Many here and else where have said that bearded dragons can retain stress marks for the first couple weeks and they will disappear, however mine still has marks across her underside. The breeder has claimed it's her normal markings, but I've not really found anywhere that states said marks are anything but stress marks. I have seen they might not necessarily be negative stress marks, but stress marks none the less. Her stomach completely clears up when I have her outside the tank, so I'm thinking I might still have something incorrect. She's in a 20G long tank with a 22 inch T5 HO 10.0 UVB tube and I believe her basking bulb was either 75 or 100W. The warm side of her tank is generally around 80-85F. I'm not sure what the cool side is, I've never checked it because I dont see her on that side outside chasing crickets or eating her greens. The basking spot is 105-110F. She mostly stays there, having only entered her hide once or occasionally going for greens and of course crickets when I feed her. I'll edit a picture in shortly, phone is currently charging.
101824-8187062996.jpg

PS: ignore the mess. She went without crickets for a few days because of weather issues with shipping, and the only way I've gotten her to eat the dry food when she doesnt have crickets is scatter it everywhere like when I feed her crickets and the one poop was this morning that I'm about to clean up. The items in her tank are scare because a lot of what I've seen has stated it's not good to overcrowd a younger dragon.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Heya :)
The t5 is the best uvb you can get so that’s awesome for your baby. Basking temp is great too and your viv isn’t too full.
How long is a 20gallon? Sorry I’m in a different country and we don’t use gallons. The t5 should be half the length of the viv , no more than 3/4 the length of the vivarium so he can have areas away from it easily if needed. The basking spot needs to be 12” away though from the basking spot - yours is looking a lot closer than that. I would measure that distance under t5 (12” or 30cm) and place a new branch the right height for basking
Again , not knowing the measurements I’m just guessing, but your tank many be too short for the t5. They are really powerful and great for getting the best uvb - but due to this they don’t work well on smaller vivs since you need 12” clearance between the t5 and the basking spot

As for the stress marks they are only really a worry if they have other symptoms of something as well ( ie black beard , lathargic, reduced eating etc)
My boy I adopted 2.5 months ago and he had stress marks for a good 6 weeks before they subsided. It’s normal for them to lighten up when out of the viv so don’t worry about that :) Marlow is always more orange and yellow when out.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
The tank is 30 inches and the bulb is 22 inches so it's just over 2/3. It looks longer comparably because the cover is so big. Given the slant on the log and location of bulbs, she can be within 3 inches of UVB or 5-6 inches of the basking bulb. The tank is only 12 inches top to bottom which means the bulbs would have to be raised, the basking spot couldnt be lowered enough. She has the same marks on her beard that her stomach has. I could show a pic of that later. She's definitely not lethargic, when she moves boy does she move quick. Admittedly lost her in my very small room on more than one occasion because I looked away for a couple seconds to say, check the time lol. She eats eagerly. Usually in the range of 30 to 60 crickets per day, it varies a bit pending what times I'm not working and am around to feed her. Much of the time I've someone else who can when I can't though. I've had her for 7 weeks so far, and the marks are only there while she's in her tank.

EDIT: I cant math. Also, her tank drops to 67-68F at night. I'd imagine the temps under her hide might be similar, but I've only known her to be under there once since I found poop there one morning.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
The tank is a great size while he’s a baby and I still don’t think the stress marks are anything to worry about form the way you describe his energy, feeding and all round good signs. It’s normal for it to occur when transitioning to new home.
I’ll post a pic of my boys stress marks from the relocation and how he looks now 2.5months later
The t5 is perfect length , I’m just not sure on the distance. I have a 12% t5 coming for mine so all the specs I’ve learnt on distance etc is based on 12% t5s, not 10% ones. But it’s definitely going to be too close at 3,5 and 6inches.
If the tank is only 12” top to bottom you will need to raise the uvb as you said
Hopefully ahbd , Cooperdragon or someone else with more knowledge on the 10% t5 comes along soon and can give more input on that
101427-6403350746.jpg

101427-7252272800.jpg

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Most of what I read said 6 inches I think. She primarily stays in the middle of the log where she's 5-6 from uvb and bulb. I built the stand that her tank sits on, so raising the bulbs will be easy. I intended on doing that when the stand was initially built, but have yet to do it. Wont her temps drop a bit if the bulbs are raised? They seem on the lower end from what Ive read. 80-85F on the warm side. The area underneath the log at 12 inches is only 95-100F, the log places her several inches higher and IIRC in the 105-110F range. I need a thermometer with probes or temp gun badly.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Yeah you really want the basking spot at 105f with a baby. The warm end around 90 and the cool around 80-85
Yes raising the basking light will mean you need a higher watt bulb
I really recommend a infrared temp gun for sure. That’s what I use for my temps
I know 6” is for t8s , and 12” for the t5s in 12% - im just unsure on a t5 10%
I’ll search old threads and see if I can found out for you

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alright thanks! Ill get it fixed on my next day off. Should be in the next couple of days. Might be a bit awkward given the stand I built for her only has a half inch border on each side (obviously can move tank to give an inch on one none on other etc)

I have the box around somewhere, Im pretty sure she already has 100W bulb so Im questioning why the temp isnt higher. Its sitting under a loft bed (bunk without bottom) so I could possibly hang it for now.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MarlowAndMe":md8hpnd0 said:
Yeah you really want the basking spot at 105f with a baby. The warm end around 90 and the cool around 80-85
Yes raising the basking light will mean you need a higher watt bulb
I really recommend a infrared temp gun for sure. That’s what I use for my temps
I know 6” is for t8s , and 12” for the t5s in 12% - im just unsure on a t5 10%
I’ll search old threads and see if I can found out for you

The T5 10% needs to be 10/12 x the distance recommended for the T5 12%.

It's not a perfect linear relationship but for our purposes , it's close enough .

So of you have a T5 10% UVB which is brand new in a good reflector hood and there is no mesh under it , the recommended distance = 10/12 x 12" = 10".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom