Newbie with a 36" tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

dano76

I'm a somewhat-befuddled grandpa helping surprise my granddaughter with a bearded dragon setup for Christmas. I"m trying to get the lighting etc set up properly. So far, I know we'll have a 36x18x18 setup with a front loading door, and likely a juvenile animal rather than a baby. This is for the SE US, so it will have good humidity and the nighttime temps where the tank will be will be above 65. So from what I can see, I need about a 22" 10.0 UVB light and a basking light. It appears the UVB would go along the back on the cooler side, with the basking light on the other end of the tank. Questions are: 1) is this the correct light setup, and 2) how strong a basking light do I need?

Thanks in advance!

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
dano76":3pqvil9d said:
I'm a somewhat-befuddled grandpa helping surprise my granddaughter with a bearded dragon setup for Christmas. I"m trying to get the lighting etc set up properly. So far, I know we'll have a 36x18x18 setup with a front loading door, and likely a juvenile animal rather than a baby. This is for the SE US, so it will have good humidity and the nighttime temps where the tank will be will be above 65. So from what I can see, I need about a 22" 10.0 UVB light and a basking light. It appears the UVB would go along the back on the cooler side, with the basking light on the other end of the tank. Questions are: 1) is this the correct light setup, and 2) how strong a basking light do I need?

Thanks in advance!

I'm blessed with parents who would buy things that would be healthy for my little guy.. Honestly wasn't expecting them to agree with me having a bearded dragon! (I'm 15)

Heat:
Basking should be around 100-108F. A 60w halogen light from the hardware store is great! Lasts a lot better and a lot hotter than a normal reptile bulb. Get a white colored bulb instead of a warm colored, reptiles can see in perfect color and colored bulbs aren't good for them.

The cool side should be around 70-80F

UVB:
A Reptisun 10.0 T8 is great if mounted inside, T5 can be mounted outside.
What kind of UVB do you have?

Extra:

Since this is for Christmas, your granddaughter must know pretty much what they need to eat!! They can't eat dried food like pellets (sorry, just a worried beardie owner :?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would keep the UVB light and basking light next to eachother over the basking area. Go with a high quality T5 UVB light rather than a T8. The 22'' bulb (24'' fixture) is appropriate for that size tank. I use this one in the same sized tank and it's excellent http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

I agree with using a halogen flood light for basking. The wattage you need may vary. I use a PAR38 90w from GE and it works well but a lower wattage may work for you. It comes down to the surface temperature readings you get.

It may also be helpful to have an adjustable lamp stand to hang the basking light fixture from. This will allow you to raise/lower the fixture to adjust temps and allow you to use a higher wattage bulb set further away which I prefer to a lower wattage bulb close up (wider basking space).

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Keep the UVB and the basking light by each other, rather than on opposite ends. This allows the beardie to absorb both heat and UVB at the same time, just UVB, or nothing at all. It will give the beardie a good gradient to choose from.

As for the UVB light - at 18", I would recommend not placing it outside of the enclosure. A t5 with reflector and an Arcadia 12% (online) would be best. If you want to buy in-store, then a Reptisun 10.0 T5 would be your best bet.

I would also advise buying a infrared temp gun from lowes or home depot --- they are wonderful!

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":3o1ti0pu said:
I would keep the UVB light and basking light next to eachother over the basking area. Go with a high quality T5 UVB light rather than a T8. The 22'' bulb (24'' fixture) is appropriate for that size tank. I use this one in the same sized tank and it's excellent http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

I agree with using a halogen flood light for basking. The wattage you need may vary. I use a PAR38 90w from GE and it works well but a lower wattage may work for you. It comes down to the surface temperature readings you get.

It may also be helpful to have an adjustable lamp stand to hang the basking light fixture from. This will allow you to raise/lower the fixture to adjust temps and allow you to use a higher wattage bulb set further away which I prefer to a lower wattage bulb close up (wider basking space).
Good advise. BTW, a cheaper option for your UVB reflector off Amazon (this is the one that I use and have no complaints): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K2AY8EW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Although, please note that no bulb is included with this fixture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom