enclosure advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have posted a couple times here on this forum, sorry. But I am a new beardie owner and Boogie is a juvenile but not tiny, he's about 8-9 inches long.

He is in a 20 gallon tank right now (yes I plan on upgrading). He has a 75 watt ZooMed basking bulb and a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB. I put a lot of plants in his enclosure against the back and sides because his reflection in the glass freaks him out.

I am attaching a photo, but I have the basking light on the left side with his basking rock right under it. I have the UVB on the other side. I originally put it there when he had a higher basking rock that allowed him to be within 6 inches of the UVB but when that basking rock started SMOKING...yes, smoking... I replaced it with this shorter one, so now he's not as close to the UVB when he's basking.

I have trouble with testing the temperatures in the tank. I have the ZooMed digital thermometer with the probe and when I leave it attached to the side of the tank (basking side), it averages about 80-85. When I hold it over the basking rock (not against it because that would just give me the heat of the rock, but over the rock, like where Boogie's head would be), it rings in around 107. But I don't know if I'm measuring correctly. I've seen people saying that you're supposed to leave the probe on the rock for 45 minutes but wouldn't that just build heat from the rock which is absorbing heat and reflecting it? Don't we need to test the atmosphere just above the rock, where he will be getting the heat from? Since they absorb heat from above the rock, not on it?

QUESTIONS:
- How do I measure the temperature of the basking spot most accurately?
- Do I need to move the UVB to the basking side? If so, completely on that side or in the middle of the tank?
- I've only had him a few days and the lowest temp his tank reached at night is 62 degrees. It doesn't seem to bother him, he just sleeps, but should I get a heat emitter for nighttime?

Pics of your guys' enclosures would be very helpful to see, if anyone wants to share. Thanks so much.

PICTURE -----> https://www.flickr.com/photos/138708093@N05/44165209740/in/dateposted-public/

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
haleyannette":yx0ioml3 said:
QUESTIONS:
- Do I need to move the UVB to the basking side? If so, completely on that side or in the middle of the tank?
- I've only had him a few days and the lowest temp his tank reached at night is 62 degrees. It doesn't seem to bother him, he just sleeps, but should I get a heat emitter for nighttime?

Pics of your guys' enclosures would be very helpful to see, if anyone wants to share. Thanks so much.

PICTURE -----> https://www.flickr.com/photos/138708093@N05/44165209740/in/dateposted-public/

Disclaimer: My advice might be a little outdated. It's been a long time since I've kept beardies myself... but...

1. Tempgun! This is an infrared thermometer. You point it (has a laser guide) at the spot you want to measure, and it quickly tells you the temperature. We usually need to measure the surface temperature of the basking spot (hot hot is the rock, not the air just above it). This is perfect for that. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=tempgun

The one I had is no longer sold (TempGun PE2), I think. Looks like they still have the smaller PE1. But also, there are many more out there on the market these days. I'm sure anything with a good Amazon average review will do.

2. UVB should span the enclosure. They should get UVB regularly (unless hiding in the shade). The basking spot should be heated from above (heat rocks are generally not good). When a basking spot gets warmed up by the heat lamp, and a beardie lies on it, their belly gets warm, but slowly cools. Heat rocks keep building up heat rather than cooling. The beardie's back gets the warmth from the heat lamp. When they move, the basking spot warms again. It's more natural and gives the beardie more control over regulating their temperature.

3. I usually kept the thermostat set to 65 minimum in my home. 62 should be okay, but if it gets any colder, consider changing the thermostat, or adding a low powered heater (just enough to keep it above that temp).

4. I have no current pics. But my first beardie, Cailyth, is the one in the top banner image (young and adult). The others are in various articles on the site, or in the Photo Album (or my signature). :)

Cheers,
-Alex

haleyannette

Original Poster
beardie":3pomstzf said:
haleyannette":3pomstzf said:
QUESTIONS:

Disclaimer: My advice might be a little outdated. It's been a long time since I've kept beardies myself... but...

1. Tempgun! This is an infrared thermometer. You point it (has a laser guide) at the spot you want to measure, and it quickly tells you the temperature. We usually need to measure the surface temperature of the basking spot (hot hot is the rock, not the air just above it). This is perfect for that. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=tempgun

The one I had is no longer sold (TempGun PE2), I think. Looks like they still have the smaller PE1. But also, there are many more out there on the market these days. I'm sure anything with a good Amazon average review will do.

2. UVB should span the enclosure. They should get UVB regularly (unless hiding in the shade). The basking spot should be heated from above (heat rocks are generally not good). When a basking spot gets warmed up by the heat lamp, and a beardie lies on it, their belly gets warm, but slowly cools. Heat rocks keep building up heat rather than cooling. The beardie's back gets the warmth from the heat lamp. When they move, the basking spot warms again. It's more natural and gives the beardie more control over regulating their temperature.

3. I usually kept the thermostat set to 65 minimum in my home. 62 should be okay, but if it gets any colder, consider changing the thermostat, or adding a low powered heater (just enough to keep it above that temp).

4. I have no current pics. But my first beardie, Cailyth, is the one in the top banner image (young and adult). The others are in various articles on the site, or in the Photo Album (or my signature). :)

Cheers,
-Alex
Hi Alex! Thanks so much for your reply.

I am for sure going to try the temp gun. Thank you for the link! So you're saying if I want to measure the basking area temp, I would point the laser directly onto the basking rock?

And ok, I will be moving the UVB more toward the basking area. Also, not sure if you are just warning me or maybe you misunderstood my words, but by "basking rock" I mean the rock he lays on to bask, under the basking light. He doesn't have a heated rock thingy, no worries! :)

yeah 62 is definitely the lowest it has gotten, but I got him a CHE today just in case, to warm up the tank at least a little bit at night. If you can't tell already, I'm a little paranoid lol. What do you think is the max temp his tank should be at night?

And your beardies are beautiful!! You seem like a very loving and responsible human for them. I so appreciate your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom