Tank heating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there so im a newish beardie owner and have her in a 40 gallon right now but I have a newly built albeit slightly wonky 120 gallon tank and I have 75 watt basking bulb in it problem being is the basking bulb is only getting the temps up to around 79.0 f on the heated side according to the fitted digital thermometers that I have mounted to the cage how would I increase the temperatures inside this black PVC monstrosity so I can move my beautiful toast in to it [/url]http://imgur.com/a/i2XZlEm[/url]

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
What are dimensions of the (2) tank(s) , length x width x height ?

Personally , I don't think PVC tanks are a good option for reptiles like bearded dragons. Better off with with a timber tank , even one of those laminated MDF flatpacks sold online by some petshops.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your pics didn't show up, here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

The tank sounds like a nice big one but the temp. at 79 is for the cool side, so consider that you have te cool side taken care of. You will 100 % need a HOTTER bulb ob the other side to get the temp. up to about 105. Try a few different bulbs, just get the incandescent bulbs at Walmart/Home Depot. You can buy a 4 pack of 100 watt bulbs for less than 1 pet store bulb. Or go with one of these, they produce heat AND uvb at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Ray-Mercury-Vapor-Bulb-Watts/dp/B00TRI4NPY

You can get a large aluminum dome fixture at Walmart or Home Depot as well, check on the rating to see that it can handle the higher wattage bulb.

BubbleBuddy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":vr6x62qd said:
What are dimensions of the (2) tank(s) , length x width x height ?

Personally , I don't think PVC tanks are a good option for reptiles like bearded dragons. Better off with with a timber tank , even one of those laminated MDF flatpacks sold online by some petshops.
It's 4x2x2 and yeah the PVC is going to be temporary as im going to save up for a decent one this is but a stop gap so I can figure out the heating and such

BubbleBuddy

Original Poster
AHBD":66fcft21 said:
Hi there, your pics didn't show up, here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

The tank sounds like a nice big one but the temp. at 79 is for the cool side, so consider that you have te cool side taken care of. You will 100 % need a HOTTER bulb ob the other side to get the temp. up to about 105. Try a few different bulbs, just get the incandescent bulbs at Walmart/Home Depot. You can buy a 4 pack of 100 watt bulbs for less than 1 pet store bulb. Or go with one of these, they produce heat AND uvb at the same time.

https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Ray-Mercury-Vapor-Bulb-Watts/dp/B00TRI4NPY

You can get a large aluminum dome fixture at Walmart or Home Depot as well, check on the rating to see that it can handle the higher wattage bulb.
102023-5385122178.jpg
this is the tank currently I have the lights and such turned off and yes ...it's wonky I blame my disability for that

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I love my PVC enclosures in every regard except the look. You might find you need more than one light bulb. several smaller bulbs are a better choice than one large one, you get a larger and more even basking area. Just upping the wattage you'll run the risk of hot spots that can cause burns.

As an aside, where are the temp probes located?

BubbleBuddy

Original Poster
Taterbug":3jp3e3ce said:
I love my PVC enclosures in every regard except the look. You might find you need more than one light bulb. several smaller bulbs are a better choice than one large one, you get a larger and more even basking area. Just upping the wattage you'll run the risk of hot spots that can cause burns.

As an aside, where are the temp probes located?
The probe is located on the right wall about half way down as close to the bulb as I can get it mainly so I can get the temperatures in the middle as it gives me a good indicator wether or not Its hot enough I still need to decorate and such but until I can get this temp right I'm not going to bother

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
You want to set up something as a place holder to the basking site to make sure you are measuring the basking temps. You might be closer than you think to the right temps.

BubbleBuddy

Original Poster
Taterbug":c5t8p33w said:
You want to set up something as a place holder to the basking site to make sure you are measuring the basking temps. You might be closer than you think to the right temps.
I'll try that today when I get back from work

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":2nvdr7v0 said:
Looks good, just get the heat + right right. BTW, what is wrong with PVC ?

Outgasing when heated of toxic fumes and gases. (consider the enclosure a "CONFINED SPACE" ==> fumes will tend to accumulate and the reptile has no escape from these and will be breathing contaminated air).

Apply caution with use of very hot globe and the ceramic high temperature rated fittings that are attached the surfaces of or very close to the surfaces of the PVC.

Old post that's relevant
Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 am
Gormagon wrote:
I work with a lot of PVC products and when heated up does emmit gasses, maybe not very toxic to us but who knows what it might do to a bearded dragon.
If you can keep the ceramic fixture far enough off of it, it might be OK to use. With a 75watt basking bulb in a ceramic fixture it reaches 200.6° on the fixture (just checked it with an infrared thermometer) in my vivarium. I mounted them to a wood block with washers for spacers to help with the heat dispersement. Wood block only reaches 98° on the back side. So it is possible to mount it to the PVC with the use of some washers and a 1x4 as long as you use desperate screws for fastening the wood to the PVC and the fixture to the wood block. I hope this helps.
A 20watt bulb will not put out the heat needed for basking.

BubbleBuddy

Original Poster
So I sorted out the heating problem had to make a experimental basking platform and basically use my 150 watt bulb by nailing it to the ceiling now I just need to get something for the floor as stupid me has tiles that are too big

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Fumes from melting PVC are nasty business. You don’t want have your heat sources close enough to the enclosure, regardless of material, to warm it up that much. Fire hazard and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom