New lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
89591-7204120187.jpg
This is RJs enclosure. 4×2×2 melamine. I currently have a T6 10.0, slightly suspended to reach him better. I want to switch to T5, but if course I'll need a new fixture. A couple questions. What's the best fixture and bulb to mount in an enclosure like this, and where's the best place to get it? Also, when i built this enclosure, I built the lighting into it. So aside from taking it apart, or drilling the cord hole bigger to get the old one out and the new one in, any ideas? Also given that the T5 is stronger, and given the dimensions of his enclosure, should I be good to mount it right to the ceiling and not have to suspend it anymore? Thanks in advance for your help.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry, just wanted to add something, of topic. RJ has been trying to brumate for a while. But given he has adenovirus, I'm not letting him "truly bribbrumate." But because he wants to, he's not eating, and therefore not getting supplements. I know when they truly brumate their bodies shut down and they draw off fat sores, etc... but how does it work for them to stay healthy if their not able to fully shut down?

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
This is my lighting setup for my melamine 4x2x2.
101451-8885765601.jpg
101451-2317426852.jpg

My t5 is on blocks 4 inches long and 12 inches from basking platform. The tin foil has been replaced with a proper reflector.

How is your top put on? Did you glue it down and screw it? If it isnt glued you could just unscrew it and pull the cord out to change to the t5 power cord then screw the top back down.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yes it's screwed and sealed. What about the bulb and fixture? Brand and place of purchase?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iloverex":18g1g6qu said:
Oh sorry, also, isn't T5 strong enough to just mount right to the ceiling?

Optimal distance for a T5 10% UVB or 12% UVB tube with a GOOD QUALITY focusing (parabolic) reflector behind it is about 12" to the basking spot.
If the tank is too tall to allow this , consider investing in a T5ho 14% UVB tube.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry to ask again, I'm just anxious to know. I really thought I'd heard many times that the T5 H.O. didn't require the lamp to be at a close distance???

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry again, just one more thing. I'm just trying to find it out because I want to purchase the new bulb and fixture during the big sales going on

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Wow, I don't know if I'm stupid or what, but that chart confused the heck out of me. I felt like a 5 year old starting at instructions on how to build a rocket ship. I know the t8 has to be pretty close, but I could have sworn I heard that a t5 10.0 reptisun has enough coverage that distance isn't really an issue, to a point of course. But having it mounted inside the enclosure on a 4x2x2 , would be no problem, or so I thought. Cooper, if I get a t5 10.0 reptisun, what would you recommend for a fixture? Is it just about the bulb? Will any fixture (like something at home depot so long as it takes a t5 bulb) work? If not, what's the best? And if it'sa fixture that has a reflector, will the reflector be good, or are there better reflectors you can get?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iloverex":3n4oatt2 said:
Wow, I don't know if I'm stupid or what, but that chart confused the heck out of me. I felt like a 5 year old starting at instructions on how to build a rocket ship. I know the t8 has to be pretty close, but I could have sworn I heard that a t5 10.0 reptisun has enough coverage that distance isn't really an issue, to a point of course. But having it mounted inside the enclosure on a 4x2x2 , would be no problem, or so I thought. Cooper, if I get a t5 10.0 reptisun, what would you recommend for a fixture? Is it just about the bulb? Will any fixture (like something at home depot so long as it takes a t5 bulb) work? If not, what's the best? And if it'sa fixture that has a reflector, will the reflector be good, or are there better reflectors you can get?

Lot of information in that chart.

You will need a good quality reflector hood even for a T5ho 10% or 12% UVB tube. Optimal distance about 12" from the tube to the basking spot to give about 1 mW UVA / sq.cm and about 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot.

If you opt for a naked T5ho tube , halve that distance for a naked 10% or 12% UVB tube. The focusing reflectors in good hoods are shaped to focus the UV and effectively double the UV seen by the reptile cf a naked tube (where most the UV is directed away from the basking spot and unuseable).

For a 2 foot tall tank , I suggest you buy an Arcadia T5ho 14% UVB tube , this will allow the tube and reflector hood to be 40% further away and still give very good levels of UV at the basking spot.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much for that info king. Recommendations on where to get the tube? And recommendation on the fixture and reflector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom