How close should uvb tube be to ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

morsotom

I have a 5 mo old rankins dragon with a reptiglo 10.0 tube how close should it be to the ground and basking spot it is currently 50 cm in the air. And does it need any other lights than basking and uvb

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, just basking + uvb. The uvb should be about 8" above the basking spot, it will be much weaker uvb at ground level as all bulbs would be. BTW, some people say the Reptiglo is not a good uvb bulb but it is. Can ypou post pics of your dragon + the set up ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, pics are showing , you really DO have a Rankin's , what a cute little baby ! What happened to his tail ?

So the tank is beautiful but is much too large. The uvb , almost any uvb, wil not project that long distance and will be nearly ineffective. Unless you get a Arcadia D3 14 % specialty bulb your dragon will not get any uvb from most bulbs unless you can suspend it down in to the tank. Your intentions are good but the tank is too large. A 20 gallon long [ not tall ] wil be MUCH better suited and he'll never outgrow it being a Rankin's [ with a tail nip he won't exceed 6-7 " as an adult ] and the uvb you have can reach him easily.

morsotom

Original Poster
Hi lost his tail in an accident before i got him

I dont have money to buy a new terrarium the min terrarium size in finland for a rankins is 100 cm so i figured 120 wont be to bad. Is it possible to lower the light/is it neccesary or is there an easier way it is completly healthy and eats well at the moment do i need to build a wall in the middle?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's going to be too far away for the uvb to reach at all. He may seem to be fine now but he won't be for long, he will develop metabolic bone disease.

I wonder about your statement that that 100 cm is minimun size. Is that a requirement in Finland ? If so, it's probably for a regular [ central ] bearded dragon that grows to 20 ". A Rankin's is a mini dragon, not more than 10-11" as adults. A 4 foot enclosure requirement would seem excessive.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just wondering how your little one is doing. I also wanted to mention that there is a bulb that will be much stronger, it's the Arcadia D3 14 % . If you could get that one, it would provide much stronger uvb and last for a year . These bulbs both will produce light for years but the uvb of the Reptiglo will diminish before a year, the Arcadia will produce uvb quite a bit longer and it's more powerful.

BTW, what stores do you have available to get your supplies ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":17z98mxq said:
Just wondering how your little one is doing. I also wanted to mention that there is a bulb that will be much stronger, it's the Arcadia D3 14 % . If you could get that one, it would provide much stronger uvb and last for a year . These bulbs both will produce light for years but the uvb of the Reptiglo will diminish before a year, the Arcadia will produce uvb quite a bit longer and it's more powerful.

BTW, what stores do you have available to get your supplies ?

If he's in Finland, Brexet hasn't taken effect yet , so he can easily buy a 14% UVB T5ho in a Slimline luminaire from Birmingham Reptile (in the UK and wont have much postage or any duties to pay to have them post the 14%UVB T5 kit to him).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom