How close is too close for heat lamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, in my Beardie enclosure, he’s about 2 1/2 months old. He can get within three inches from his heat lamp at the top of his stick. It’s a 100w zoomed basking lamp. And he is usually right up on it ALL the time as if he enjoys it, he’s smarter than to overheat himself correct? Or should that be something I regulate? The distance he can get from it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,-

Well, 3 inches is likely a little too close. You wont want to risk any type of thermal burns.
Is it mounted inside of the screen or on top of the screen?
We usually recommend no closer than 8 inches for safety though. They do love to sit on
or near it but I would hate for him to get burned though.

Tracie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It should be well out of reach to prevent burns. I like having them at least 12'' above the main basking area because that is out of reach and is further away to provide a wider basking beam. I prefer a higher wattage further away to a lower wattage close up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, mounted on top of the screen is better than inside of the tank since that would help to
minimize the likelihood of burns.
We do recommend 10-12 inches depending on the wattage. If you wanted to post a picture of
your tank setup, we can review it for you also.

Tracie

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
And the enclosure isn’t ideal as of right now, he’s in one of those little “starrter kit” tanks you get at Petsmart or something. Coil UVB, 20 gal. I’m building one here in about another month or so, 36”x24”x18” melamine with mounted reptisun 10.0 tube. Also he’s only got one of those stick on thermometers, but haven’t been too worried about temp because he eats well very alert with regular bowel movements. If you tell me how I can post a picture though.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's probably OK for now. What is the wattage of your coil? You'll want a 26w rather than a 13w. You can also upgrade to a T5 tube now and just transfer it to the larger tank when it's ready to go.

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
Is a regular store bought T5 fluorescent light bulb the same as getting like a reptisun 10.0 tube?
And I’m not too sure what the wattage was on the uvb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
Cooper I just went and purchased a reptisun 10.0 for the time being because I figured it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and get it. My question is is how far away should be the closest my bearded dragon could get from the UVB light?
And how about heat lamp?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Did you get a T8 or a T5 ReptiSun 10? In a fixture with a good reflector a T5 should be about 12'' up and a T8 should be about 6'' up. This is measured to the main basking area. You can provide access on branches etc that gets closer without a problem as long are there are also areas further away from the light.

I like to keep the basking light at least 12'' above the main basking area so it's out of reach and provides a nice wide beam. I generally prefer higher and more powerful to closer and lower wattage.

Itszackbreh

Original Poster
Dude, literally I put the light in there about two hours ago and for the whole two hours he’s been at the top of his stick stretched out like he’s standing as straight up as possible . I guess that coil uvb wasn’t doing it’s job?
He had been acting kind of funny the past few days, always having his eyes shut, bulging them and kind of lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom