Temps way too high!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Hi I was measuring my beardies basking temp and I was expecting 107 but I got 129F! I have a dimmer but it doesn't do anything to the temps as the lowest I can go it is still around 118F. My beardie doesn't seem to mind as I have a lower basking spot so that he can bask on and a shady area next to the basking spot.

Please help because I don't want to give him any burns!

(I'm using a halogen bulb that is 60W.

[Chien's info:
Length: 13Inches
Enclosure: 40gal
UVB: Reptisun
Mounted?: outside (getting things to mount inside
Cold side temps: 78F]

Scion19801

Hatchling Member
It sounds like you have a bad dimmer if u can't get the bulb dim enough. I started off with 80 watt equivalent halogen par 38 bulbs. I had my homemade dimmer turned down more than half way to get my basking temp right with the platform 12 inches from the bulb. So I switched to the lowest par 38 i could get, which is a 38 watt bulb. I have my dimmer about a quarter of the way reduced, still 12 inches from the platform and get 95 degrees on my ir temp gun. Mind you I have a custom 4x2x2 melamine tank, 24 inch t5 10.0 reptisun, and a 60 watt che. I get 80 degrees on cool side. Also have side vents high and low for ventillation, and double, swing down plexiglass front doors.

I'd try smallest bulb and possible new dimmer switch. Can you move your bask light away from the top?

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Scion19801":1i5wva9u said:
It sounds like you have a bad dimmer if u can't get the bulb dim enough. I started off with 80 watt equivalent halogen par 38 bulbs. I had my homemade dimmer turned down more than half way to get my basking temp right with the platform 12 inches from the bulb. So I switched to the lowest par 38 i could get, which is a 38 watt bulb. I have my dimmer about a quarter of the way reduced, still 12 inches from the platform and get 95 degrees on my ir temp gun. Mind you I have a custom 4x2x2 melamine tank, 24 inch t5 10.0 reptisun, and a 60 watt che. I get 80 degrees on cool side. Also have side vents high and low for ventillation, and double, swing down plexiglass front doors.

I'd try smallest bulb and possible new dimmer switch. Can you move your bask light away from the top?

The dimmer worked on my friends water dragon enclosure, I'm not sure why it won't work on mines

The lowest halogen bulb I could find was 30W and it barely gave off heat.. Only reached to about 80F.

And no I can't move the basking lamp as it is just a dome and I think it's too heavy for the CHE stand I have. (I can't use the Che stand either way, it's for my turantula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom