Time for an upgrade or workover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeky

It is time that we makeover / purchase or make a new enclosure for our beardie "Beastie"

I am thinking of making one, but I do not know were to start, he has a home ATM so I can take my time and do it correctly, BUT, I do not know were to start, what type of wood, electrical work so on, I was thinking to get the thermometer and fittings first and work them into the enclosure, but no idea on what thermometer to purchase, lights fittings anything, so I am asking for some advise, I think the most important thing for me is the type of wood I can purchase that is safe for our Beastie.

So first question is, what type of wood is the safest and best kind of wood that I can use to build an enclosure for our bad boy

The woman just showed me what she wants as a dream home for the bad boy and I have NFI how I could do that, but 1st the wood, once I get that part I can take it from there.

So any assistence would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

mecreos

I'm not a complete expert on what wood is best to use. I recently built a plywood and 2x4 enclosure with a plexiglass back panel and a hinged door on the front to allow access to the whole interior. I used just standard 3/4 plywood and standard 2x4's from home depot. I painted the whole thing with water based latex paint and let it cure for about a week. I followed that up with 5 coats of water based varithane polyurethane and let that cure for a month or more until there was no more smell. It seems to have sealed all surfaces and made everything waterproof too. I read a lot on that topic and there were soooo many opinions out there it boggled the mind. I feel it would be unkind to keep a lizard in just a small standard glass aquarium - kind of boring too, that's just me though. The enclosed area is 38 wide x 42 tall x 24 deep. 100 w MV bulb, 36" UBV bulb overhead, coil UBV below and ceramic night heat for the winter time. After all was set up during testing I found that the cool side got a little too hot and I added a small computer style exhaust fan to one of the upper vents and now my basking site stays at 100 - 105 and the cool side gets no hotter than 79 - 80. We wanted it in front of a window to beardie man can look outside. The window backs up to our patio and gets no direct sunlight at any time of the year. I would cation adequate and adjustable ventilation is needed with home made wood enclosures to insure maintenance of proper temps.

101655-3130654451.jpg
101655-567976037.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom