Time for an upgrade or workover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheeky

It is time that we makeover / purchase or make a new enclosure for our beardie "Beastie"

I am thinking of making one, but I do not know were to start, he has a home ATM so I can take my time and do it correctly, BUT, I do not know were to start, what type of wood, electrical work so on, I was thinking to get the thermometer and fittings first and work them into the enclosure, but no idea on what thermometer to purchase, lights fittings anything, so I am asking for some advise, I think the most important thing for me is the type of wood I can purchase that is safe for our Beastie.

So first question is, what type of wood is the safest and best kind of wood that I can use to build an enclosure for our bad boy

The woman just showed me what she wants as a dream home for the bad boy and I have NFI how I could do that, but 1st the wood, once I get that part I can take it from there.

So any assistence would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

mecreos

I'm not a complete expert on what wood is best to use. I recently built a plywood and 2x4 enclosure with a plexiglass back panel and a hinged door on the front to allow access to the whole interior. I used just standard 3/4 plywood and standard 2x4's from home depot. I painted the whole thing with water based latex paint and let it cure for about a week. I followed that up with 5 coats of water based varithane polyurethane and let that cure for a month or more until there was no more smell. It seems to have sealed all surfaces and made everything waterproof too. I read a lot on that topic and there were soooo many opinions out there it boggled the mind. I feel it would be unkind to keep a lizard in just a small standard glass aquarium - kind of boring too, that's just me though. The enclosed area is 38 wide x 42 tall x 24 deep. 100 w MV bulb, 36" UBV bulb overhead, coil UBV below and ceramic night heat for the winter time. After all was set up during testing I found that the cool side got a little too hot and I added a small computer style exhaust fan to one of the upper vents and now my basking site stays at 100 - 105 and the cool side gets no hotter than 79 - 80. We wanted it in front of a window to beardie man can look outside. The window backs up to our patio and gets no direct sunlight at any time of the year. I would cation adequate and adjustable ventilation is needed with home made wood enclosures to insure maintenance of proper temps.

101655-3130654451.jpg
101655-567976037.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom