Fire And Ice Dragons - Contradicting info from your page..

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I found a beautiful dragon I want to buy. I have had one before but he had issues and passed away. I decided to contact fireandicedragons about buying. I asked about what they currently feed and was told that they would send instructions after I place the order. Then, after paying the $200, I was sent specific instructions on how to set up the enclosure. I planned to use my 40gal but they insisted on me using a 20. I planned to use MVB, they said it would bake the baby. Fine... they would know better, right? Well then I sent an email about just needing to pick up a fixture for the T8 bulb then I can send the required picture before the baby ships... I mentioned me getting a stand so I can hang the current heat lamp fixture and now I received an email telling me that "if you use any other fixture than the cheap 8 dollar silver clamp light basking bulb fixture from Lowe's you will have problems with the dragon. They don't seem to like the black domes at all, spending days climbing the walls in a desperate attempt to escape rather than eating. I suspect it has to do with the directed heat intensity of those black domes"

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the metallic of the silver provide more intense heat?? The setup I am supposed to duplicate is so simple that there is no hide for the baby.

Also, in the instruction email, they specify for the basking spot to be 98 degrees and the cool side 78-80. From what I knew, the basking spot for a baby should be at least 105 for babies and juvies.. not down to 95 until adult.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
massconfusion149":17mfktcq said:
So, I found a beautiful dragon I want to buy. I have had one before but he had issues and passed away. I decided to contact fireandicedragons about buying. I asked about what they currently feed and was told that they would send instructions after I place the order. Then, after paying the $200, I was sent specific instructions on how to set up the enclosure. I planned to use my 40gal but they insisted on me using a 20. I planned to use MVB, they said it would bake the baby. Fine... they would know better, right? Well then I sent an email about just needing to pick up a fixture for the T8 bulb then I can send the required picture before the baby ships... I mentioned me getting a stand so I can hang the current heat lamp fixture and now I received an email telling me that "if you use any other fixture than the cheap 8 dollar silver clamp light basking bulb fixture from Lowe's you will have problems with the dragon.

<<< I'll come right out and call that one BS ….. a lamp stand is BY FAR better than any spring lamp clamp - If you MUST have an open topped tank.

They don't seem to like the black domes at all, spending days climbing the walls in a desperate attempt to escape rather than eating. I suspect it has to do with the directed heat intensity of those black domes"

<<<< …. the black outside , white inside domes designed to focus UV down to where you want the beardie to bask.

These domes have only a very minor impact on thermal performance of the basking globe , in that MOST the heating at the temperatures involved is via direct thermal radiation & heat transfer via convection of warmed air.
I'd have to check this , but physics of it is high UV reflectivity does not necessarily imply high IR (heat) reflectivity. The domes do get hot , but again only contribute via air warmed on contact convecting heat away into the tank. The domes are typically painted black - presumeably to increase the thermal emissivity of the outer dome surfaces (and increase radiant heat transfer).

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the metallic of the silver provide more intense heat??
On the inside - it comes down to the emissivity of the polished metal surface
The emissivity of polished steel = 0.1 (which is VERY LOW) , so the thermal reflectivity is 0.9 so based on that , yes a dome of polished steel will reflect radiant heat and focus it.

White paints have moderate emissivities (about 0.7) so low thermal reflectivities (in the order of 0.2-0.3) ==> only maybe 30% of thermal radiation is reflected by the surface, the rest goes to heat the sheet of metal..

c/- https://www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z088-089.pdf

The setup I am supposed to duplicate is so simple that there is no hide for the baby.

Also, in the instruction email, they specify for the basking spot to be 98 degrees and the cool side 78-80. From what I knew, the basking spot for a baby should be at least 105 for babies and juvies.. not down to 95 until adult.

The temperatures you want to use are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom