Bearded tank decor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beverlyjward

I just purchased my first bearded dragon and I named him Smaug so I would like to do his tank with a hobbit theme. I am having trouble finding anything that is sold in stores that could be used so I would like to make my own decor. Does anyone know what kind of materials are safe to use? Such as what brand of paint and sealant and things like that can I use? I want to make him a substrate insert that looks like gold as well and I was thinking gold sequins and epoxy or resin to cover then so he has a nice easy to clean floor in his tank but I am not sure if it would be a safe choice even after dry. If you have any advice for me please let me know :).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would probably look for a wooden stump from outside or build a replica of a wooden stump that is hollow and flat on top to double as a hide and basking spot. Driftwood works well if you can find it. Just clean it well and sanitize it by baking it in the oven on low (~250) for 45 min or so. If you want to seal stuff, you can use a non toxic paint or something like polyurethane. Just let it air out thoroughly and dry completely before use. For substrate, you might want to use something like a shelf liner with a pattern on it. That will make it easy to clean or replace if needed. If you do put something like sequins down, be sure to add several layers of sealant so it is easy to clean and the sequins don't come loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom