T8 to T5...Looking to upgrade lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smilobar

I'm looking to upgrade my lighting in my enclosures for my beardies. I bought 3 custom built enclosures that are 48 long, 25 deep, and 18 tall. Here's a picture of all my tanks (geckos on the top there lol):

3125-9268332086.jpg

The basking spot in each is a perfect temp, but I feel like the UVB light was installed too much in the middle, and isn't really that strong UVB wise. I've been hearing more and more about the T5s and their amazingness, though I'm worried it would be too bright for them considering the height of the tank.

Right now I have a 24" Reptisun 10.0 T8, and it didn't come with reflectors, so I planned on making a few of those to help amp up the UVB and also saving my eyes from the bright white when I walk by!

How long of a tube would you recommend, what fixture would you recommend, and what brand? I've heard of Arcadia bulbs but have no idea where you buy them, and I've heard a lot of the Sunblaster fixtures but it looks like it would hang down too close to them.

Help please! Thank you thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
look for ARCADIA T5HO SLIMLINE LUMINAIRES , they come with at tube (you choose 6%, 12% or 14% UVB).

See
51gzopJrx9L._SL1200_.jpg

Smilobar

Original Poster
Oooo wow it looks very sleek! Where do I buy one? The Arcadia website is...lacking to say the least lol It has no links to sellers or where to actually buy one. I'm located in the USA. I looked on ebay and Amazon, but I didn't see any on there.

Measuring my current tube against the Sunblaster, it looks like the Sunblaster wouldn't be too much taller than the one I have in now, so I'll probably go with that, though I am just worried about how much stronger it will be and being too close. I plan on moving them behind the basking light, more to one side instead of the middle-front that it's in now, so maybe that would help with intensity?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sunblaster T5 is a very good option. You can use either a ReptiSun 10.0 or an Arcadia 12% tube with the fixture. It should sit roughly 12'' above the main basking area but some branches that allow closer access is fine, and you want areas further away from the light so you can create a good gradient.

Smilobar

Original Poster
Thank you CooperDragon! I'm saving up right now to get them! Since I have 3 tanks, I'll have to do one at a time XD But for now I added a reflector to my current tube to boost the rays. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom