Edges of UVB dim

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a Reptisun 10 from Petco a few weeks ago and mounted it inside her cage with a fluorescent fixture rated for the same wattage as the bulb. The edges of it are dimmer than the middle of the bulb. I thought it was normal at first, but now I am starting to worry about it because she has been squinting whenever she is under her uvb. Is it just because of how bright it is? Does anybody else have this too? Is the bulb good?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is this a T8? As I recall the edges do look a bit dimmer than the rest but as long as it's at least 6'' overhead it shouldn't be causing problems in terms of eye irritation. The bulb is probably OK but the only reliable way of checking the output as far as I know is to use a Solarmeter. The ReptiSun bulbs tend to have pretty good quality control in general which is why they are often recommended along with Arcadia bulbs.

Flapjack6260

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2eym4ka3 said:
Is this a T8? As I recall the edges do look a bit dimmer than the rest but as long as it's at least 6'' overhead it shouldn't be causing problems in terms of eye irritation. The bulb is probably OK but the only reliable way of checking the output as far as I know is to use a Solarmeter. The ReptiSun bulbs tend to have pretty good quality control in general which is why they are often recommended along with Arcadia bulbs.

Correct, it is a T8. If I put it directly above her, then it will be about 12” away on top of the screen. When I put it above her, it did not irritate her eyes. Is 12” a good distance?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
12'' is too far for a T8. A T5 is much better suited for that distance so I would move to that. A T8 isn't much good beyond about 6-8'' based on my testing. Even then it is relatively low output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom