Temps not warm enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Sorry for all the posts but I’m worried I’m not doing things right. I got my set up a 4ft x 2ft x2ft vivarium from a reptile shop, but the kit didn’t come with a dimming thermostat (he said they don’t sell kits with them) so I went out and brought a Komodo dimming thermostat 600w. I have followed instructions and places probe in various spots but the stat is set to 92 the highest it goes yet my basking area is barely making that heat. 85-88 is max I’m getting. I have a 50w basking bulb as the shop said it’s fine for summer use ? I tried a solar bulb 60w but after a week it broke. :/ Dobby is acting normal eating ,shedding and pooping well. But I’m still worried about these temps. Should I get different make of dimming thermostat like habistat or change bulb wattage or move probe to the very end of the cold end ? I’m confused. I’ve read the guide on here but still none the wiser

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What you could do is use the thermostat to monitor temps in the area just outside of the basking spot. If your basking light isn't making the basking surfaces 100-110 then you'll need a stronger bulb. I've had good luck with PAR38 and BR40 halogen bulbs. The wattage you will need may vary so trial and error is in order. Start with maybe a 60w and go up from there if needed. If you can get the basking temp close then you can put the probe in an area that is reading 92 or lower and keep it set at that. Assuming the gradient is constant, that should in turn keep your basking surface temps in check based on overall gradient temps.

For example, if you check your surface temps and they are reading 103, that's just right. Find an area in the tank that is reading 92 or lower (middle or cool side). Say the cool side floor is at 82. Put the probe there and set your thermostat to 82. That should keep the bulb in check and the gradient should remain about right. Alternatively you could get a different dimming thermostat that has enough range to monitor the basking site directly.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi. Sorry for delay in replying. Thank You for your help. I’m still having problems rarely getting to 100. I brought a 75w exp terra daylight basking bulb which made no difference. I have a mini infrared thermometer, the point and shoot type. And have now got an eco terra digital thermometer. Not sure where to put the probe though. Beginning to think the Komodo dimming thermostat is faulty. Going to try the par 38 you suggested. Do they have reflector or would I need to buy a reflector shade ? Could you tell me who makes the bulb and what it looks like so I don’t get the wrong 1. Dobby is growing and shedding well and giving large poops daily so not overly concerned yet he also doesn’t sit directly under the basking bulb so guessing he’s comfortable. I just want to do all I can for his health. X

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The new bulb may not be powerful enough but good to double check it. Put the probe right on the basking surface. You can secure it with zip ties or gaffer's tape or similar so it stays put. Give that an hour or so and then go by that reading. If it's still low, I'd try another bulb. The PAR38 and BR40 bulbs have reflectors built into them so you can just screw them into a socket that is rated to handle the wattage. You can use a dome fixture if you'd like to though. The BR (bulge reflector) bulbs stick out so they won't sit flush and are better for hanging lamps. The PAR (parabolic reflector) bulbs have a flatter surface and can sometimes sit on a mesh top. There are many brands and they are often available at hardware stores. Philips and GE both make them. I use the GE 90w 1790 lumen bulbs but the wattage you need will vary so you may need to try a couple of them to see which works best with your setup.

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank You. Are they just household bulbs and Can I get them in hardware shops ?

Thanks

Di

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks right. You may need to try different wattages to find which one works best in your setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom