18" vs 22" vs 34" Reptisun HO 10.0/Arcadia 12% T5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
I have made the decision to scrap my MVB (it will be my "travel bulb"), buy a dimming thermostat, T5 light fixture and hallogen spotlight bulb to better regulate the temps and UVB in my terrarium.

Right now I have a front-opening exo-terra 36"x18"x18" and have every intention on getting a 4'x'2'x2' front-opening terrarium at a show in October.

So, tht being the case, I'm stuck on what size of fixture and bulb I should get - I will most likely be transferring this light fixture to the 4x2x2 enclosure in a few months.

Sooo... I don't want a 34" because that would not provide an ability to get out of he UVB in the 36" enclosure (other than going in his hide), so it is pretty much between the 18" and 24".

In his current viv, an 18" would cover half of it, leaving an 18" "off" zone. A 22" would cover nearly 2/3 of it.

I'm leaning towards the 22", in hopes that I may not have to upgrade to a larger sixe when transitioning to the 4x2x2. Any thoughts? Is the 22" what I want?

Thanks

SydneyGaia

Hatchling Member
Original Poster

TracyMarie

Hatchling Member
FYI, it's difficult sometimes to get the 34 inch to fit in a 36 inch tank, because the plug in is on the very end making it about 36 inch long that you are trying to squeeze into the 36 inch tank. I have two of them. One I had to put on a diagonal into the 36 inch terrarium to make it fit.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would want to test that fixture before recommending a specific distance. It looks somewhat similar to the one from ReptileBasics. I've tested that one and while cheaper, it has an inferior reflector which cuts down on the effective distance. If this is the case for this fixture (I don't know without testing it using a Solarmeter) I would err on the side of mounting it closer but still providing areas away from it. 8-12'' is probably fine given there are areas with little to no exposure available. They can tolerate areas with higher UVB exposure at times. They are good at self regulating so just watch and see how much time is spent directly under the bulb. If it is avoided then try raising it a bit higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom