Beginner Basking Light Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

haasume

Hello,
I recently rescued 2 3 month old beardies, I have them in a 40gallon breeder tank. I am looking for a basking lamp and every site and forum I have read say go with household bright white incandescent bulbs. They say these are cheaper than the "reptile" lamps. My problem is these forums were from 2012 and if you search for bright white incadescent bulbs on any site the reptile lamps are cheaper than the household lamps. Are "clear" household lamps the same or just as good as "white" household lamps? I am guessing I need a 100w or I may be wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Basking is more about bright light and heat so anything that produces a fairly wide beam of white light and produces adequate surface temps will work. If the reptile brand lights (don't use neodymium coated ones) are cheaper, give them a try. I've had good luck with PAR38 and BR40 halogen flood lights as well. They produce a nice wide beam and plenty of heat. You will need a good UVB light as well. In a tank that size a 22'' T5 tube with a T5 fixture is a good fit.

Since you have two of them, they will each need their own enclosure. If they are kept together they may become territorial. This can lead to one monopolizing resources such as food and basking area or even to them attacking and harming eachother.

haasume

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. I will look at the two halogen lamps you suggested. I picked up a used 20 gallon long yesterday so one of them will be going in that. I know that I will have to get a larger habitat for the beardie in the 20 gallon but that will have to wait a few pay days.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you picked up a second tank. The 20g long should be fine for now at that age. It's more important to give them their own space so they can thrive at this point, even if it's a small space. You still probably have a couple few months to find a bigger enclosure. Maybe building a stacked setup would work in your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom