Status
Not open for further replies.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hi all
So I have replaced my adult bearded dragons light not too long ago
I've noticed my beardie will keep her eyes shut under the light.
Is this just her relaxing?
Or is there cause for concern.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's common when they bask and indicates relaxation in most cases. Is the light directly overhead? How far away is it? If it's overhead and well out of reach it shouldn't be causing irritation.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
It's about 14 inches away.
It's an MVB
So you don't think the light's defective? I just bought it from a reputable source.

I can get a pic of her doing it too she does it a lot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
14'' is pretty far away so I doubt it's causing an issue. Which model and wattage did you get?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
solar glo 125 W

I left for an hour and she jumped down from her basking spot while I was gone
it was not too hot
It seems like she's trying to get away from basking

Although I have seen her mouth gaping, thermoregulating but her eyes where shut.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good distance for that bulb. It sounds like she was just relaxing and basking. Moved away when she was done.

There was an incident reported about a year ago (maybe more) over a certain bulb causing a dragon to constantly close his eyes (I can’t remember which brand it was sorry) so the owner placed his palm under the light in the place his dragon usually basked for around five minutes and he had a reaction that looked a lot like sunburn and rug burn.

I’m not implying that’s what your bulb is doing to your dragon but I’d check the reviews first to see if anyone else reported that happening to their dragon with this bulb, then try the same thing he did but only for 30 seconds or so and if you feel something happening to your skin stop and document it for the pet store to see, even if it is barely noticeable. If you’ve determined that is the problem take a video of your dragon basking under the light and for a maximum of 30 seconds, or until they run out of the light, so they don’t have a reason to reject you a refund on the light.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Ok I have a receipt just in case.
Right now she's pretty much under her basking light like maybe she doesn't want to bask anymore.
Like next to the basking spot.
I'm unsure why she is doing this as she needs to digest her food as well.

I could put her up there and she just stays.
Should I?
would that cause any harm?

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
She's not necessarily running from it, just closing her eyes.

I can't open the link.
What light is it?

It’s the PowerSun 160 Watt, the link was showing the different wavelengths of bulbs based on your dragon's distance from her basking spot. If she’s still closing her eyes try moving the lamp up a bit more if to see if she reacts differently. I’ve bought bulbs before that were the exact same model of the others next to them and the one I previously had so when I got home and they were reacting different I just kinda moved their lamps a bit and they were fine. If she’s still reacting to it exchange it, it’s probably doing more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom