Difference between t5 and t8 reptisun uvb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

isa489

What is the difference between a t5 and t8 reptisun uvb?
and would a 24 inch reptisun uvb long tube work for a 20 gallon and a 40 gallon? how far should it be from my beardie? how do i mount it? and is 18 watts ok for a baby beardie? oh and my beardie is about 2 and a half months old can i already move her two a 40 gallon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The outputs are different. The T5 is a newer technology and has a higher output than the T8. Taterbug created a chart that shows the differences in output. https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

I would move your dragon to a 40g to give her plenty of room but then use a 24'' T5 Reptisun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% bulb for it. That should sit on top of the tank and be about 12'' above the main basking area. That will produce UVB that is similar to mid morning bright sunlight.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It depends on the tank type and the fixture you get. Does your tank have a hard top with front opening doors? Or does it have a mesh top that needs to be removed to get in?

isa489

Original Poster
oh ok thanks! oh and last question sorry? i just got my baby beardie 2 days ago and it seems like she’s going through a shed should bath her or would that stress her out?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you've only had her for a couple of days I'd just let her work through the shed on her own. They're pretty good at handling it without intervention. Some of them like baths and some don't. I'd wait a bit until she settles in to try it. If she doesn't like the bath it's definitely not worth the stress and should be avoided unless she gets soiled or smelly and needs a wash. In that case a small tupperware with warm water up to the elbowsand a bit of dr bronners baby mild (or other mild unscented baby soap) should do the trick.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This will show the difference nicely wrt UV output : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

Technologically , T5HO have a triphosphor coating on the inside of the tube , the T8 has wider diameter quartz glass tube than the T5HO , T8 indicates the OD of the tube is 8 x 1/8" = 1" , T5 indicates 5 x 1/8" = 0.625".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom