Wood -v- glass enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. Lionel has been with me now for 18 months making him almost 2 yo. Ever since I have had him he has been in one of those laminated wood vivs which appear to be the bargain basement of the enclosure types for beardies. BTW, we live in the uk which is obviously known for its raginingly high temps (not).

I recently put him in a 4ft viv and fitted the lamps inside the viv, But I have noticed that the wood is burning and disintegrating because of the lamps being so close to the wood. I’m worried that if I move them further from the top, that they will be too close to Lionel and that beautiful dumbassed kamikaze lizzer will attempt to jump onto the lights and bbq his ass.

I have noticed that a lot of the enclosures people in the states and other countries are or appear to be entirely glass in structure so I’m hoping to get some advice from people who know better. I really want the best home for him and one that’s also not going to need replacing several times a year. Is it best to put him in glass or is it safe to just relocate the lamps.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
… and they also have top opening mesh lids too …. very poor design , but what pet shops in the USA sell CHEAP.

if you buy or build a viv from timber with a fixed solid timber lid and front sliding glass doors about 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T this is will be very good forever home for you dragon.

Timber is superior thermally to glass. A very good insulator.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236332&p=1816614#p1816614
k values
Glass = 1.05 W/(m K)
Timber = 0.13 - 0.16 W/(m K)
https://study.com/academy/lesson/heat-transfer-through-conduction-equation-examples.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom