In-tank UVB

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m in the process of updating my beardie’s tank. I got her a 24” 10.0 ReptiSun but am having a lot of trouble finding a a way to put it in her tank. Everyone says to get an under the counter fluorescent light fixture but I can’t find any that will work. Does anyone have any suggestions? A link to items would be great! Remember, it’s a 24” which is making this a million times harder. Thanks!

katelynn0704

Original Poster
Thank you! That’s a lot of help! What brand is the best when it comes to the T5 bulbs? I’ve heard a lot about Arcadia? Theirs are 24 watts. Can I find a grow light fixture that will take that wattage?

katelynn0704

Original Poster
I was planning on placing it in the tank but from reading the description on Arcadia’s site, they say a screen won’t filter out that much UVB with their lights. The only reason I’d want it on top of my screen is because I have a 40 gallon breeder and it’s height doesn’t leave much room for good basking spots and placing the UVB at the correct distance. I hope that makes sense!

katelynn0704

Original Poster
Hmm alright, that will definitely be something to consider. If I get this bulb/fixture, is there anything else I will need besides a basking lamp? I just want this to be perfect!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a good basking bulb, and you don't need to get them from the pet store brand, especially the colored junk bulbs and the tight beam spot bulbs. You can get a good aluminum dome and a high watt halogen bulb at Lowe's or Home depot. Get a 100 watt halogen and that should do the trick. If your house is colder in the winter you would need a higher watt bulb or another dome fixture +heat bulb.

katelynn0704

Original Poster
This has been SO helpful! Thank you! One last question (at least for now), I’m trying to find these Arcadia bulb/fixtures for cheaper and I’m not having any luck. Is it best to just buy it directly from them or do you have any sites you’d recommend trying?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Cooperdragon could tell you better, I don't have any Arcadia products but they are well known for their excellent quality. I use all Reptisun + Reptiglo bulbs as well as Powersun mercury vapor bulbs.

lizardmom25

Hatchling Member
I have used the 22 inch t5 reptisun 10.0 in their hood on a 40 gallon breeder on top of the screen for the past 5 months. I have been very happy with it. My guy is doing very well, eating and growing like a weed. He is also pretty active. We just switched him over the weekend to the 4x2x2 wooden viv we built.I am using the next size up in that setup in a sunblaster fixture with reflector. Hopefully with the same results.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
katelynn0704":1rglqirq said:
This has been SO helpful! Thank you! One last question (at least for now), I’m trying to find these Arcadia bulb/fixtures for cheaper and I’m not having any luck. Is it best to just buy it directly from them or do you have any sites you’d recommend trying?

Hi, for bulb and fixture for Arcadia you can try here:
http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-UVB
With the fixture + bulb comes out to be $50 + Shipping fees.

And for just the UVB linear bulbs you can try here as well:
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/light-heat-and-uvb/uvb-bulbs-florescent-mercury-vapor.html

Once my Reptisun bulbs pretty much burn out, I will be switching to the Arcadia bulbs :D
If you do go with a Reptisun bulb + fixture, needs to be mounted inside of the enclosure but you can also use the Zoomed T5HO fixture with the Arcadia bulb. There are lots of options, just have to decide what is best for you and your budget :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Be wary of the Reptile Basics fixtures. They work but they have a cheap reflector and in my testing I've found that their output is significantly lower than what you would have when using a high quality grow light fixture. The Sunblaster fixtures are a good option if you want to hang the fixture and don't need it to sit flat (the reflector doesn't come all the way down over the sides of the bulb). Otherwise I'd use the T5 ReptiSun hood for mounting on top or the one from LightYourReptiles which can be mounted on top or it can be hung up easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom