Compact uvb light setup!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marley2018

Hello, let me first start by saying I know this isn't the best bulb, but that's what I have for now, my question is how should it be set up? This is how I got it now, but I'm sure its not right
99324-884281281.jpg
her basking spot right under the light is 110 and the tree log is 100. Just not 100% sure if uvb light is correctly placed. Again I do plan on getting her the right uvb bulb, but until then please help

* I use a temp gun to check temps

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Which wattage is the bulb? That will factor into the distance. A 26w bulb is recommended as a minimum. Try to put it as close to the basking light as you can, and about 6-8'' above the basking area. It should be directly overhead and aiming straight down.

Marley2018

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2e8fj80y said:
Which wattage is the bulb? That will factor into the distance. A 26w bulb is recommended as a minimum. Try to put it as close to the basking light as you can, and about 6-8'' above the basking area. It should be directly overhead and aiming straight down.
99324-7604140118.jpg
this is what I got, omg its only 13 watt :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah as you already know that's going to need to be replaced. The 13w isn't going to be effective at all at a safe distance so it's probably just as good to leave it off at this point. The best of the compacts I've seen so far is the 26w UVB200 from Exo Terra. I still prefer the output and nice wide beam of a 22'' T5 bulb though and feel they are very much worth the investment. In the meantime if the weather is nice you could try some time outside in the natural sunlight. That is great for them if they enjoy being outside with you (not all of them like it).

Marley2018

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3ds2f8yf said:
Yeah as you already know that's going to need to be replaced. The 13w isn't going to be effective at all at a safe distance so it's probably just as good to leave it off at this point. The best of the compacts I've seen so far is the 26w UVB200 from Exo Terra. I still prefer the output and nice wide beam of a 22'' T5 bulb though and feel they are very much worth the investment. In the meantime if the weather is nice you could try some time outside in the natural sunlight. That is great for them if they enjoy being outside with you (not all of them like it).
I have this over head light fixture and been looking for a replacement bulb, no luck.
99324-2387564453.jpg

Marley2018

Original Poster
Marley2018":3bl25mhz said:
CooperDragon":3bl25mhz said:
I have this over head light fixture and been looking for a replacement bulb, no luck.
99324-2387564453.jpg
Can having the compact light on cause my Beardie harm, thought even if just getting a little from it woyld be better than none, I do take her out when its hot n sunny out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's an old T12. Older technology than a T8. Since they degrade over time I doubt it will be of much use anymore. I can't say for sure without testing it's output though as I've never tested a T12 myself. As long as the UVB light is at least 6'' away and directly overhead I doubt it will do much harm but the UVB amounts received at that distance will be miniscule.

Marley2018

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3512f05j said:
That's an old T12. Older technology than a T8. Since they degrade over time I doubt it will be of much use anymore. I can't say for sure without testing it's output though as I've never tested a T12 myself. As long as the UVB light is at least 6'' away and directly overhead I doubt it will do much harm but the UVB amounts received at that distance will be miniscule.
Ok, sorry for sounding like a dumbass but will the newer bulbs l work in the fixture, or is the whole thing trash.. Im sure the current bulb in there is just plain light by now lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's certainly not straightforward but makes sense after a while :lol: The fixtures match the bulbs in size so for a T12 bulb you need a T12 fixture (which may be hard to find now due to it's age). A T8 needs a T8 fixture, and a T5 needs a T5 fixture. The compact bulbs screw into a E26 fixture like most household bulbs. The T5 lights are most powerful and newest technology. Their advantage is both their increased output and increased longevity. The bulbs can often stay effective for well over a year without needing replacement. The T8 bulbs tend to lose effectiveness after about 6 months as do some of the compacts. The T5 bulbs will fit in T5 grow light fixtures which are pretty easy to find now. You can get them in package sets like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ or you can get the fixture and bulb separately like these https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/

http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/

Marley2018

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3jd2vdma said:
It's certainly not straightforward but makes sense after a while :lol: The fixtures match the bulbs in size so for a T12 bulb you need a T12 fixture (which may be hard to find now due to it's age). A T8 needs a T8 fixture, and a T5 needs a T5 fixture. The compact bulbs screw into a E26 fixture like most household bulbs. The T5 lights are most powerful and newest technology. Their advantage is both their increased output and increased longevity. The bulbs can often stay effective for well over a year without needing replacement. The T8 bulbs tend to lose effectiveness after about 6 months as do some of the compacts. The T5 bulbs will fit in T5 grow light fixtures which are pretty easy to find now. You can get them in package sets like this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ or you can get the fixture and bulb separately like these https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/

http://www.reptilebasics.com/arcadia-desert-12-uvb/arcadia-d3-12-uvb-t5-bulb-22/
Ok thanks Cooper you been more than helpful to me, appreciate all the information you shared with me ? Will definitely be changing lights..thanks again ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Marley2018":2t8m9n8f said:
CooperDragon":2t8m9n8f said:
99324-7604140118.jpg
this is what I got, omg its only 13 watt :(

Will need to step up the basking spot so beardie can get really close to that 13W globe , about 5 inches to get about 190-200 microW UVB/ sq.cm at the basking spot.
If the globe is brandnew , return it and exchange for an EXO TERRA 26W UVB200 , it's a much better compact , I've used 26W UVB200s for my beardies for years , set up so the basking spot is 8 inches from it .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Marley2018":3msfhiwk said:
CooperDragon":3msfhiwk said:
99324-2387564453.jpg

I think if it's this
The ESU Slimline Fixture comes complete with an 18 Super Daylight UVB fluorescent lamp. The Reptile Super UV Daylight Fluorescent Lamp is a full spectrum daylight lamp that produces beneficial ultraviolet rays, 3%+ UVB and 7%+ UVA
, it's useless for a bearded dragon. 3% UVB is totally inadequate.
I'd take the fixture and ESU T12 tube out entirely , and invest in a good T5HO reflector hood and an Arcadia T5HO 12% UVB tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom