need some input on t5 or t8 5.0 or 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
hello all i just build a 48x24x23.5 i messed up on the cutting lol this is going to depend on basking temps i bought a 36 inch t5 ho fixture but is really 34 inches it came with a 5.0 but i also have 10.0 i was going to put it inside the enclosure but with this table i'm thinking twice about it.https://beardeddragonforum.com/threads/reptisun-10-0-vs-10-0-high-output-bulb.12286/

but really the t8 10.0 you have to be between 6 to 8 inches for it to do any good if you have a low enclosure is fine but is hard to set basking temps if its to low thats why i bought the t5 i was going to put partially on the basking spot and some on the none basking side but it will all depend on basking temps here is a pic of the enclosure i have not put the top on yet i'm letting the silicone which is latex based dry then i will plan where the lights are going to go drill the holes put the top on glue the tracks and cut the plexi glass and its done lol.ps. if you have any suggestions on how to mount a zoo med t5 hood let me know i was going to drill some holes secure it with tie downs and put some belcrow.[ximg]97755 9751475965[/ximg] one final note myself and my beardie we both like the powersun my beardie spends most of the day basking and he loves the powersun only problem is 100 watt is the minimum zoo med makes it this exo terra being 18 inches high i have it on a lamp stand 3 inches above the tank so my dragon is about 12 inches from the bulb and my temps are good but i think being inside the enclosure be too hot but i'm tempting to test it out.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just found out that zoo med now makes the 80 watt powersun buti only found it on 2 places lll reptile is one of them i went with the 80 watt solar glow to test it out for me MVB is easier i just dont know if ill be too hot but if it works great then i know my beardie is getting enough uvb but i will still run like a 22 inch t5 for the rest of the tank

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Go with the T5 10.0. Set it about 12'' above the main basking area (some branches etc closer is fine) and allow some areas further from it to provide a good gradient. That's your best bet with a larger enclosure like that. I would use the PowerSun as a portable basking lamp for time outside the tank.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thank you very much with my calculations the basking spot is going to be 12 to 14 inches so that's great here is a topic i found viewtopic.php?f=34&t=92307
and i will paste Bearded dragons can receive up to 450uW/cm2 during the day but they don't normally bask in such high radiation. They are seen basking in conditions that are recorded at 75-250 under normal circumstances. Even in the shade they will be exposed to these numbers unless deep in their burrows for approximately 8 hours of the day.i got a zoo med 36 inch t5 but the bulb is 34 inches that should be good on a 48 enclosure it does have a reflector i also bought a solar meter 6.2r i know is lot of money but i'm curious how many micro watts this lamps are putting out and in the long run i will save money i don't have to estimate how often i need to change the bulbs i was reading the bare minimum i'm talking about just to survive is 13 uW/cm2 acording to the chart a t8 at close range does not produce lot of uvb but enough to synthesize d3 and calcium so between 75 and 170uW/cm2 should be safe? the power sun 100 watt zoo i was reading at 12 inches it gives out 100 uW/cm2 so my dragon is more or less getting that and hes doing fine.i will know more when i get the solar meter.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes those are safe and reasonable ranges. I agree with you in that they tend to bask in the mid mornings and late afternoons and hide during the most intense sunlight so I try to offer a kind of happy medium between 3-6 UVI which is right in that range of uW/cm2. It's good that you have a solarmeter too. That will help you to determine when it's time to replace the bulb but will also give you a good idea about how far the bulb should be from the basking area to provide the appropriate levels. Remember though that they tend to move around and get different levels during the course of the day so it's best to create a nice gradient for them.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
hey guys i did some testing and with a t5 10.0 HO 11 inches from the light you get 200 units of uvb so not that strong depends where my beardie is he gets 60 to 80 units if i raise the basking temp im gonna need to play with the bulb wattage go to an 80 instead of the 100 maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom