Wood -v- glass enclosure

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Wood -v- glass enclosure

Postby Mimiworkslave » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Hi there. Lionel has been with me now for 18 months making him almost 2 yo. Ever since I have had him he has been in one of those laminated wood vivs which appear to be the bargain basement of the enclosure types for beardies. BTW, we live in the uk which is obviously known for its raginingly high temps (not).

I recently put him in a 4ft viv and fitted the lamps inside the viv, But I have noticed that the wood is burning and disintegrating because of the lamps being so close to the wood. I’m worried that if I move them further from the top, that they will be too close to Lionel and that beautiful dumbassed kamikaze lizzer will attempt to jump onto the lights and bbq his *****.

I have noticed that a lot of the enclosures people in the states and other countries are or appear to be entirely glass in structure so I’m hoping to get some advice from people who know better. I really want the best home for him and one that’s also not going to need replacing several times a year. Is it best to put him in glass or is it safe to just relocate the lamps.
Mimiworkslave
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Wood -v- glass enclosure

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:24 pm

… and they also have top opening mesh lids too …. very poor design , but what pet shops in the USA sell CHEAP.

if you buy or build a viv from timber with a fixed solid timber lid and front sliding glass doors about 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T this is will be very good forever home for you dragon.

Timber is superior thermally to glass. A very good insulator.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236332&p=1816614#p1816614
k values
Glass = 1.05 W/(m K)
Timber = 0.13 - 0.16 W/(m K)
https://study.com/academy/lesson/heat-t ... mples.html
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017),Toothless (M)(RIP 26Nov2017).Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) 4y old when rescued 14Nov2017 my little livewire , ubertame, thriving and very happy .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Re: Wood -v- glass enclosure

Postby Beardeddtagonlover » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 pm

I made mine out of melamine i put ceramic lamp fixtures it really holds up the heat well.[Click image to enlarge]
Beardeddtagonlover
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures