Please check my enclosure, beardie with constant stress mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
He is 3 months old. Got him a week ago and still has heavy stress marks all over, even though he eats very good, poops, basks, etc. I believe he was settled in, he is not skittish at all, not shy, not aggresive, allows me to hold him whenever, i can hand feed him, etc. eats and poops just fine too

Zilla 08616 Desert T8 Light Fixture, 24-Inch with reptisun 10.0 tube
Zoo Med Repti Basking Reptile Spot Lamp 100w
20 g tank
CHE used sometimes at night

temps: (measured with temp gun)
basking rock: 105-110
hot area: 92-100
cool area 70-80

93594-5405225391.jpg

he always has stress marks, and im wondering why.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your temps are fine and the T8 is OK for a 20g tank (I'd replace it when you get a bigger one). It looks like it's close enough to the basking log (6-8'') and isn't being blocked by mesh which is good. Plenty of places to climb or hide. Solid substrate that is clean. I would consider this a very nice enclosure.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for your observation! Makes me feel a lot better

93594-4856230007.jpg
93594-4522671402.jpg

always so dark!
how come his colors turned really bright, yellowish, when he was outside for a while?
then in his viv his always dark.
it was pretty hot outside when I took him, 88-92 F

also when i take him out of his tank for a while his colors return to normal, a brighter yellowish color. not doing anything wrong with his tank right? from my other post regarding my tank. I measure his temp by pointing the temp gun at his basking rock, reading 99-108F.
im only saying this because, my other beardies obviously change color when basking, but this guy changes color DRASTICALLY. almost abnormal haha.

93594-4726337353.jpg
93594-1851688829.jpg

these are more his natural colors, with less of a black beard as well. almost like his tank stresses him out? i know its not too hot because I use a temp gun. but most likely nothing as you said. and hi is particular in changing his color a little more than normal?

im probably more stressed out than i should be lol, more stressed out than even my beardie might be

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks healthy to me. The dark lines are a side effect of him darkening to absorb heat/light and when he lightens up to start reflecting light (usually because he's had enough, often outside) he will lighten back up. Totally normal behavior and not something to be concerned about. I find the term stress marks for the belly lines the young dragons (seemingly all) have is misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom