Sunlight vs UVB Lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterNibbins

I currently do have a UVB lamp on my viv. It and the basking light are on a timer, which I change up depending on the season and how daylight hours are. I have recently moved to a new apartment with a lot more direct exterior lighting. My question is, with the amount of sunlight that my beardie is now getting per day, is it necessary to keep a UVB bulb on him constantly? He is getting roughly 6 hours of indirect sunlight split between morning and evening, with around 3-4 hours of direct. It is heating his cage enough that I have to turn off his basking light for a few hours or it gets over 115° in his viv.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
You must always have a UVB bulb on your beardie's enclosure.

Unless his enclosure is entirely screen and is sitting next to an open window then he is not getting any UVB other than from his UVB bulb. UVB does not go through solid objects such as glass or plastic.

Also if the basking spot is getting too hot raise the heat lamp up or lower the wattage of the bulb.
Or just move his enclosure away from the window (if it is near/in one). As putting it in that place will overheat it.

MasterNibbins

Original Poster
Ok. Was wondering about that. It is a glass cage, but will soon be a tight wire frame and wood, once I can afford to make it. And the basking light in there is only a 100w about 8 inches above his hammock. As soon as the sun is off of his viv, the temperatures drop to about 95-100 in the basking and 80-85 in his cool side, with around 70 in his hide.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MasterNibbins":unczvqa5 said:
Ok. Was wondering about that. It is a glass cage, but will soon be a tight wire frame and wood, once I can afford to make it. And the basking light in there is only a 100w about 8 inches above his hammock. As soon as the sun is off of his viv, the temperatures drop to about 95-100 in the basking and 80-85 in his cool side, with around 70 in his hide.

Virtually zero UV is transmitted through soda glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom