Travel Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I see this question popping up a lot so I figured I'd give an example while I have it set up. This is Darwin's typical travel setup. He has a dome fixture on an adjustable lamp stand with a 100w MegaRay MVB. That is connected to a mechanical wall outlet timer. He has a small rock to prop up on under the light with a fleece blanket. His small food dish is next to him. He has his travel carrier with the door left open for him and he sleeps in that burrowed into his other fleece blankets. I have a big bag that has a roll of paper towels, vinegar spray, F10 sanitizer, (carpet cleaner too since we are in a place with carpet), extra blankets and some rag towels. There is a small soft sided insulated bag/cooler that has a cold pack and his veges. Didn't bring any worms on this trip. That's all he really needs and he stays in a closed room. If you have a younger dragon you may need to use a pen or bin of some sort to keep them enclosed and safe. A dragon like Darwin who is older and used to free roaming can do so as long as they are kept in a safe room with no small bits on the floor and nowhere to get stuck etc.

76248-2473803661.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Thank you for this very informative post! I Bet this will help many new beardie owners who are wanting to know this. :)

Now how do I travel with FOUR beardies?? :mrgreen:

-HippieLizards.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Very carefully :lol:

The Oxgord pet carriers are pretty cheap and four of them should fit in a car fairly easily though. You could probably strap one to the back seat belt and kind of daisy chain them 2x2. The lighting will certainly get more complicated since they'll need separation (unless they get along really well and can share a couple of spots temporarily). You might be best off using plastic bins since they can stack in the car. Or get each of them their own room :lol:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Lol, I Think I'll just maybe bring one or two if I go on another vacation Lol since I have two males and two females. and Letting the beardie have it's own room sounds better then bins. Maybe I could use a bathroom or something. :) I Already have four or five pet carriers so that's good. :)

and I Think If I go on a vacation I'll definitely leave my cat and Crested gecko home. :lol: Lol, It's a zoo here! :mrgreen:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
You could set up a big playpen in the middle of the room with a single MVB overhead and let them fight it out for the basking spot like a cage match :twisted:

* Disclaimer: to anyone else reading this thread for advice down the road, don't do this. It's a terrible idea and just a joke.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Eh, No. Lol. :roll:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I have used a play pen in the past. It's nice because it collapses and is lightweight while providing lots of space when it's open. The downside is that the mesh was really easy for Darwin to climb so he just climbed out when he wanted to explore. Not so good when he's in a space he can't safely free roam. My solution at the time was to attach about 8'' of fabric along the bottom sides of the pen which worked but wasn't elegant. There are pens that have fabric at the bottom and have a zippable mesh top which is probably the way to go in the future. Maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/Playpen-Portable-Waterproof-Foldable-Exercise/dp/B01LWMJEK0

*note where he is sitting in this photo...

76248-7200013599.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
I Might try that. I'm not going on a vacation any time soon but I do want to know how to handle four bearded dragons (I Would get someone to watch the cat and spray Gizmo's cage) if I did go on a vacation and maybe just take one or two beardies.

and Lol, Darwin looks proud to be out of the horrible pop-up playpen prison. :lol:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
I managed a 10 hour drive and a week stay with three beardies and a snake two months ago, I tried out your travel setup and it worked out well for one of the dragons, So thank you for that useful vacation setup lol. View media item 60767 Loki enjoying the beach and sun rays.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you. I have Darwin up in Minnesota at the moment and he's sleeping in his bag - same setup and same room as in the first photo I posted. I did wind up putting a hand warmer under his blanket in the bag when we stopped for food along the way but I don't know that it was necessary.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Yes Thank you, and Oh cool I hope Darwin enjoys his visit in Minnesota.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Good idea but that is rather space consuming, plus cardboard probably wouldn't hold up against a dragon's basking lamps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom