Low basking area

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtthwvlz

Hey everyone, quick question, I recently moved my bearded dragon out of a 20 gallon into a 40 gallon reptile sanctuary tank, now my question is can I have a low basking spot as long as he's within range of his uvb and the temps are okay? He loves the flat rock I have in there. Also how close should he be to the reptisun 10.0 t8 I have inside the tank. He's got a 150w zoo med basking light. Basking Temp is around 105 during the day. I was also thinking of moving the t8 onto the back wall so he is closer to it
97944-9500694139.jpg
97944-8208100125.jpg

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
depends on what the temps are down that low in the enclosure. if you have a infared gun you could check the temperature down in that area by removing gthe lid after the lights have been on at full strength. If it's below 95 degrees you're possibly going to want to get a higher basking area for your beardie.

mtthwvlz

Original Poster
The temp on that rock is about 105 so he's definetly getting his heat. So it's okay if it's down low like that?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I Agree with shidohari. If the basking rock is at 105F then you don't need to have it any higher otherwise it could reach dangerously high levels.

Although rocks are known to overheat so you could maybe move the rock a bit farther away from the basking spot and maybe switch places where the basking rock and that branch are at because I'm afraid that the rock would probably get too hot at the surface temperature and cause burns.

View media item 60902 This is how I have Cisco's basking spot set up. I Have multiple levels and branches so she can get a variety of temperatures when she wants to. I Have the Hammock at the highest point, The branch at the middle, and a log on the floor.

Super cute beardie Btw! :)

-HippieLizards.

mtthwvlz

Original Poster
Hey guys so I have changed up his environment a little bit to give him more height on his basking spot with a bark log and went with a 100w zoo med repti basking spot bulb (so he wouldn't cook :oops: ) , and I moved his reptisun t8 more into the desired range for the optimal uvb range.
97944-3804197358.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
That looks good. :)

Catzo

Moving the uvb there was a good idea. The t8s arent super strong so putting it within 8" or so of basking spot is perfect. Looks good now

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

For your tube UVB, I would try to get that mounted directly overhead instead of mounted on
the back/side wall. The UVB needs to be overhead to directly go onto your dragon instead of
refracting out & away from your dragon.
Everything else looks good for him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom