Do I need to adjust lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to keeping dragons. Stilgar is a few months old(not sure precisely). I currently have him set up with a 13.5 hour "day", from 8am to 9:30pm. However, I have noticed that at around the 12 hour mark he frequently calls it a day. He chooses a hide(sometimes the one on the cool side, sometimes warm side) and passes out. If I take him out at this point he finds a fold of fabric in my shirt or a blanket and goes right back to sleep. During the rest of the day he is alert, curious, poops regularly and seems to be eating well.

He lives in my room, where it remains generally dark until his light comes on, but some light filters in starting at sunrise around 6am.

Is this normal, or should I shift his 'sunrise' forward, or even shorten his day? I'm concerned I could be stressing him out if the 'day' I am providing him is out of sync with his circadian rhythm. I certainly wouldn't enjoy trying to sleep with a spotlight on. Thank you for any advice and for reading this far!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds pretty good. It's common for them to fall asleep early like that but it's OK. Just let him sleep if he's tired. A 12-14hr day cycle is about right. As long as you are fairly consistent with the times for the lighting, they will adjust to a schedule that fits yours so you can tweak it however you'd like but just try to be consistent.

EddyRancid

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! Yeah, the hours are very consistent since I've got the lights on a timer, guess he's just been tiring himself out early haha.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My lights stay on a 16 hour photoperiod year round. My mob often take siestas.

Better off having longer than needed , than not long enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom