Cutting screen on exo terra habitat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the 18 x 36 x 24 exo terra habitat. I am thinking the screen top is blocking too much of the 36 inch Repti Sun 10.v light and even it's not, it would better to not have the screen as it is so high up. I can remove the top completely, but not sure if that will be bad for the structural integrity. Also, the Repti sun if bumped could fall down into the tank that the top with cross brace prevents. The other option is to cut the screen and just leave the holes. Has anyone done this? I don't see anything being able to get out but the tops are like $50 if I need to replace it. Thanks for opinions.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you don't have any other animals in the house you could remove it. I leave the top off of mine and just suspend the lights above the tank on adjustable lamp stands. You could build a cross piece to hold the UVB light easily enough too. The 36'' should be able to reach across the top without help but a cross piece in the center is a good idea.

Gogators93

Original Poster
No other animals that could get to the tank. I just think it would do better with the 2 foot height to have it open. Might do the crossbar instead of the top so I don't have to cut it up so I can put it back on if I ever need it for something else.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd remove the mesh lid and toss it in the trash bin, replace it with a solid MDF or plywood or melamine lid (easy to mount lights under and will help keep the temperatures right while using smaller wattage basking globes and CHEs).

ventilation is easy using cupboard vents.

kingofnobbys":3s7ne86n said:
I'd remove the mesh lid and toss it in the trash bin, replace it with a solid MDF or plywood or melamine lid (easy to mount lights under and will help keep the temperatures right while using smaller wattage basking globes and CHEs).

I am not very constructive but i love your idea..I have that same tank..I hate having the ubv ontop of the fine mesh..Can you please tell me how to make a new cover that won't interfer with the doors on the front? If i can fix this i think my setup is pretty darn good..Thank you

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Justin1026":1btks7f2 said:
kingofnobbys":1btks7f2 said:

I am not very constructive but i love your idea..I have that same tank..I hate having the ubv ontop of the fine mesh..Can you please tell me how to make a new cover that won't interfer with the doors on the front? If i can fix this i think my setup is pretty darn good..Thank you

Well if you post some sketches with measurements .... I'll have a go at a solution for you.

if i forget this thread .... pm me/

budzoboy

97446-2729679030.jpg
I have an exo terra 36 x 18 x 36..my top was roached when I bought it
here is how I mounted my lighting...
just some options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom