Tips on warming beardie at night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camhabit

Hello all, I am bringing my 2 year old beardie along with me on a 5 hour drive to Virginia, where I will be staying for a week. I was wondering if there is ANY tips on how to keep her warm at night since the house I am going to stays around 65 or 66 degrees at night...

I would like to get a ceramic heat emitter but am not sure what brand is the best. Thanks.

Catzo

Zoomed sells ceramic heaters but theyre very expensive. Like $40 each. I just bought the cheapest ones on amazon, 2 for $15.
Ive been using them for months and theyre working great. Think theyre called CRlight. Its just some offbrand chinese company but i figure its gotta be hard to mess up a lightbulb.

Alternatively, if I were you, and youre just going for a week, 65 is too cold for me to sleep, id buy a $40 space heater for the room from walmart and return it at the end of the week.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Samantha13":1tlpjv9w said:
Hi, I ordered this Exo Terra Heating Rock Small https://shop.stefmar.com.au/exo-terra/exo-terra-heating-rock-small and I am super satisfied, it has natural look and my Lilly loves it. It's also easy for me to clean it, so that's another plus! Let us know about your final choice, curious to hear about other options ;)

return it .... unfortunately these are made "on the cheap and nasty" and often have dodgey circuitry which makes them prone to overheating.

This is what all my skinks and dragons have : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976&p=1746469&hilit=safe+way+to+use+heatpads#p1746469

and it works and I've never had a failure or overheating incident .

dezismom

Juvie Member
My boy travels everywhere with us. For a short trip, I have an electric heat pad for humans that goes under one half of the bin, providing day and night warmth. Also, a simple clamp on fixture from a hardware store with an ordinary blue colored 60 watt light bulb. These are not suitable as night warmers for a long term, because they can possibly interfere with sleep, but for just a few days travel, they work fine. The reasons I prefer them is they are less likely to cause a fire (the ceramics are quite hot!) and adjust with the clamp, and less expensive to replace, if they get knocked around. I never go without a heat source, and never let Dezi sleep in less than 75*.

I have a travel kit consisting of a large, clear plastic bin, some puppy wee pads for easy to clean substrate, the heating pad, lamp, paper towels, a bottle of RO water, Dezi's harness and leash, food bowls, and a small emergency medical kit ( a zip baggie with blood stop, antibiotic ointment, tweezers, nail clippers, a 1cc sirynge) For anything over a week, I add his UVB lamp, unless I plan to spend some time in the sun with him every day. Dezi rides on me as we drive, (hubby does the driving) as he loves to look out the window.

Dezi wishes you both happy and safe travels! Here, he is in his fave place to visit: the desert, of course!
82765-9070347896.jpg

dezismom

Juvie Member
cooperdragon, those heat lamps sound perfect! Why have I never heard of them? Have you tried any of his other products, ae well? I am thinking about ordering the UVB he designed...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
dezismom":29yabrsk said:
cooperdragon, those heat lamps sound perfect! Why have I never heard of them? Have you tried any of his other products, ae well? I am thinking about ordering the UVB he designed...

I like them quite a lot because I can touch the fixture without getting burned the way I have with a CHE (and dropped one that dropped on carpet and got all plastic covered from the melted carpet - no thanks!) I use one for overnight heat in the main tank and I have one over my roach colony. I use his 100w MVBs as portable basking spots/travel lights too. I like them a lot, they hold up for a long time. The downside is that they produce a very narrow beam of intense UVB so they aren't the best for use as a main basking light in a tank.

kingofnobbys":30uxbt9i said:
Samantha13":30uxbt9i said:
Hi, I ordered this Exo Terra Heating Rock Small https://shop.stefmar.com.au/exo-terra/exo-terra-heating-rock-small and I am super satisfied, it has natural look and my Lilly loves it. It's also easy for me to clean it, so that's another plus! Let us know about your final choice, curious to hear about other options ;)

return it .... unfortunately these are made "on the cheap and nasty" and often have dodgey circuitry which makes them prone to overheating.

This is what all my skinks and dragons have : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976&p=1746469&hilit=safe+way+to+use+heatpads#p1746469

and it works and I've never had a failure or overheating incident .

Hi, thank you for your tips! As I said, we are still satisfied, didn't notice the overheating you mentioned, but will pay attention to it, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom