Need Expert advice Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhhihengg

Hi all, i have some questions about lightings and heating and i hope some experts here might be able to shed some light for me ASAP! thank you so much

I just got a baby bearded dragon and he's living in a 22 gallon tank.

Dimensions are 24" length x 12" wide x 14" tall.

As for lights and heatings, i have the following:

Exo terra Intense Basking spot 50W AND 75W
Exo terra Reptile UVB100 (former repti glo 5.0 compact) AND Desert UVB150

I am unsure which is the best option for him now although i know florescent tubes are the best, but I can't get it till a month or 2, so i'll need to use these resources which i have temporarily.

I've switch from intense basking 50W to 75W as i feel that the tank is not warm enough for him

and

UVB150 down to UVB100.

Both lights are held by exo terra PT2052 (Glow light clamp holder)

The first 2-3 days he has been opening his mouth and basking. but recently he has been closing his eyes or just opening one eye for a SHORT period the duration of his basking. the problem is he is often around the hot side of the tank for most of the day, meaning he closes his eyes all the time. I worry that the lightings are affecting his eyes. even when i look at the bulbs, it affects my eyes. and i would love to get some help and advices as to which of these lightings can i use temporarily and where and how should i place them? the distances i should place them or what should i change in my enclosure? he still eats healthily and poops normally.

the distance from the lights to the ground is 13" (thats if he's on the floor) and the egg crate is slanted so he can move up and down for the desired temperature for basking.

81100-3805804695.jpg
81100-4537435127.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The heat lamp should be set at a distance based on the temperatures you read. It's important to get accurate surface readings across the tank so I'd use either an IR temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe. Shoot for 100-110 on the basking surfaces with areas around that in the 90s and a gradient down to about 80 or so on the other side of the tank.

I suggest using something more stable than egg crates for a basking spot. If you can find a wide branch or an appropriately sized stone that might do better. It should be stable, wide enough to bask on, and ideally provide some shade/a hide as well.

For UVB, the UVB150 is an OK bulb but it's weak. Similar to a T8 tube. I would move that to about 6'' above the basking area for best results. I wouldn't let it be further than about 8'' because the output drops quickly at distance.

zhhihengg

Original Poster
thanks alot CooperDragon, what about the bearded dragon closing the eyes? im afraid that he might be hurt with his eyes cause he's been closing his eyes for a long time everyday!

I'll switch the UVB100 back to UVB150 now and ill get a temp gun later!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes you want the UVB light right next to the basking light. This way the UVB combines with the bright white light and heat over the basking area to imitate natural sunlight as closely as possible. If the UVB150 is at appropriate distance and directly overhead, it shouldn't be causing vision issues.

Do you notice any mucous or buildup around the eyes? Or is he just closing them?

zhhihengg

Original Poster
The UVB150 dessert basking spot light is orange in colour if i'm not wrong right? it looks orange to me! and there is no mucus or build ups! he's just closing the eyes but he opens it when i tease him and then closes the eyes again.

zhhihengg

Original Poster
Also, should i the egg crate at an angle? or i should lay it flat on the floor? if i lay it flat on the floor. it will be 4" high.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen one lit up in a while but I recall them giving off a blue hue. If you are going to use the egg crate I would be sure it's stable if it's at an angle. It will provide a shelter and basking site that way but lay it flat if it isn't steady or won't handle the weight of a dragon laying on it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would save for upgrades to lighting and think about adding some furniture (a wide branch/driftwood or a stone or something) in the near future. But this should be OK for now.

zhhihengg

Original Poster
so i've noticed that my zero bearded dragon has abit of mucus in the eyes and i've washed it and monitoring it, would someone introduce me a good bulb for basking and UVB? cheers

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For basking a bright white bulb that produces adequate heat is all you need. I use a PAR38 halogen flood light and it works well. Just keep it directly overhead and well out of reach. For UVB I use a T5 Arcadia 12% 22'' bulb that sits 12'' above the basking area and works very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom