building a viv from scratch (first time)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoxaju

Hey everyone

I'm getting ready to build a new viv for my beardie and I'm looking for some info to fill a few gaps in the process. I'm very handy with tools (carpentry is part of my trade), let me fill in what I have in mind already.

I'm building a 4x2x2 cube out of 3/4 ply (so my cut list for that is 2 pieces at 2x4, 1 piece at 4x1'10 1/2", and 1 piece at 1'10 1/2" x 1'11 1/4"), I'll need to get more screws and I have wood glue to hold it all together.

I need to get a sealant (water based, non-toxic), could use a suggestion on brand for that.

I have lights already, a Reptisun 10.0 bar lamp for UVB and some 75w coil bulbs for heat (currently using 1 for the viv he's in right now), but I might up that to fill the space better. The UVB will be mounted on one of the short walls and be probably 12-14 inches off the bottom to make sure he can't get too close. I'm not 100% sure of where to mount the heat light, and I'll probably get a CHE to supplement it for when it's colder. I have a temperature controller with a digital probe for that.

I also have some fake plants that my beardie likes, a big log that he likes, and a hammock that he sleeps on. I want to get/make a big flat rock for him too, and build a small platform to put it on

The plan will be to introduce a second level for him to crawl up to, which will be able to be built later and easily attached to the existing frame once it's built. It will be set up so the second level is nearer to the wall opposite the UVB, which will provide a hide space underneath it. Also might end up putting a net material on one wall for him to climb up if he wants.

the biggest question I have right now is how to make a sliding plexiglass door, or if I should make a swinging door that is held in place with magnets or a latch of some kind? I know how to build the latter, but I keep hearing that sliding doors are better and I'm not sure how to make one of those off hand (I'm used to working off blueprints). I'd very much appreciate some advice here.

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I like the enclosures some make out of old furniture. There are a lot of good ideas on this site. Here’s one I like.
83443-2965846681.jpg

Shoxaju

Original Poster
That looks cool and all, but I don't have any furniture to convert to a viv and I am attempting to build one from scratch as I mentioned

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
To make plexiglass/glass sliders in this instance, just having a wooden track that you ran one or two dados through so that the glass can sit, and slide will work.

Trying to engineer some complex roller/slider system is unnecessary for what we would be trying to accomplish in a beardie tank, as we are not really trying to hold high humidity levels in, and we are not trying to keep really small things out. So the glass just "sitting" in the dados will suffice. If you aren't satisfied with how it slides, you can always use some wax in the dado to help the glass slide over the wood better.

For picture reference, this is what im referring to doing to a piece of wood (although there are plastic products like the one pictured you could buy too, but hey, the tools are out, you/re working with wood, make your own).
10007-04-1000.jpg

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Shoxaju":2s6ixdkw said:
I'm building a 4x2x2 cube out of 3/4 ply (so my cut list for that is 2 pieces at 2x4, 1 piece at 4x1'10 1/2", and 1 piece at 1'10 1/2" x 1'11 1/4"), I'll need to get more screws and I have wood glue to hold it all together.

Not sure I follow on your cut list. Are you sure this is correct?

-Brandon

Shoxaju

Original Poster
claudiusx":3qvxc4i6 said:
Shoxaju":3qvxc4i6 said:

Not sure I follow on your cut list. Are you sure this is correct?

-Brandon

It should be, I was accounting for the thickness of the ply to make exact dimensions, I could make it even numbers, but I like being exact if I can. Force of Habit I guess.

@Claud, thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I was thinking it might be safer to make a swinging door with a latch because little Yoshi is too smart for his own good and might learn to open it on his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom