UVB Lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ordered a 100W Mercury Vapor Bulb for my beardie. I wanted to know if that was a good choice? The strip UVB bulb I had before wasn’t sufficient enough and I heard the Vapor bulb was good, but I wanted to know if they actually are. Thanks! :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some brands are better than others. The good ones put out sufficient UVB at a set distance. The trouble is when you have them set at an appropriate distance for UVB output (usually 10-12'' with a 100w) it can be difficult to get the temperature gradient right since you can't control heat and UVB independently. What are the dimensions of your tank? How far from the basking zone will your new bulb sit?

Babybeardie3

Original Poster
The tank is a 55 gallon not entirely sure on the exact dimensions. But the tank is huge and long. The basking spot to the light I’d say is about 12-15 inches. Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Can anyone tell me if I can use a t5 grow-light fixture for my t5 HO repti sun 22”? I cannot find any other fixtures suitable for mounting under the screen. I’m going crazy! Lol thanks anyone!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Lisamariefr":lgbuky9m said:
Can anyone tell me if I can use a t5 grow-light fixture for my t5 HO repti sun 22”? I cannot find any other fixtures suitable for mounting under the screen. I’m going crazy! Lol thanks anyone!!

All you need is some suitable length cable ties, simply poke 2 cable ties through the mesh and form a loop with each and slip the reflector hood into the loops and tighten to fasten - job done.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":2ed69tbg said:
A 55g is 48x13x21. Pretty decent size but too narrow for an adult. A T5 tube would be a very good fit for a tank that size http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/. Which brand of MVB do you have? Which wattage is it? The 160w version is a better fit for a tank that size in most cases.

I'd suggest his best option is to tip the viv onto one long side , the mesh lid becomes a mesh door, well I'd ditch the mesh and replace it for the viv on it's side with sliding glass doors 15in tall with timber strips of plywood ( 2 inches high at the bottom (under some sliding glass doors , I'd have some cupboard vents in this to help draw in air and 3 inches high above the sliding glass doors with some cupboard vents to allow some warm air leakage).
Araldite the light fitting to the glass room (was a side).

thank you for the info about securing the light inside! I was wondering if ties would work. That’s what I’ll do.
Does anyone know about the fixture for grow lights? I’m assuming a grow light fixture is the same as a regular fixture if you replace the bulb. ?? But I’m kinda not comfortable assuming because I’ve made a couple mistakes that way ... lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I chimed in on your other post, but yes a T5 fixture is often designed for grow lights but can work well using a UVB tube as long as it has a good reflector.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom