New Viv: Checking my heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterg

Hey guys, a bit if a newb here. Looking to get my beardie soon and need to make sure i got everything righy tho.
Day time: cold end is around 76. Hot end 80-85. And on the basking log 100-105.
Night time: 57-60.
Should i get a ceramic heater as well? If so where bouts do i place it in my vivarium?
Any help would be awesome. Thank you.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Personally i'd bump the warm side up to at least 90 or so, however if it makes the basking spot get past 110, then having it at 80-85 works probably.

You'd definitely need a ceramic heater as night time temps cant drop below 65 or so. I'd probably place it in the middle or the warm/basking side. The wattage depends on how tall/big the tank is.

Other than that everything seems fine for temps.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think that's a pretty good gradient as long as your basking area is wide enough for a dragon to bask under evenly. I agree about the night time temps. You'll want to bump those a little bit into the high 60s or low 70s. A low wattage CHE or MegaRay heat projector will do the job. I keep mine in a dome fixture over the cool side/center of the tank but you can mount it wherever it isn't in the way of the basking and UVB lights. I'd put it on a timer or thermostat so it only kicks in as needed.

Peterg

Original Poster
Thank you so much for your help. The vivarium is around 16inch high and has no holes to mount another light ontop so it needs to be inside. Any reccomendations for a CHE and thermastat that would work? Guessing only a low watt is needed as it is nearly there on temperatures. Just checked again now and it is on 67 with no lights on. Maybe it was just a bit too cold for a few days?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
You could always take the basking light out and switch in the CHE for night time since the basking light wouldnt be used for night time, and then when lights go on turn the CHE off and switch it out for the basking light.
As for wattage possibly a 50-75 watt would work.
its still probably good thing to get a CHE for those colder nights.

Peterg

Original Poster
With my work i sometimes miss the 'lights out' time so i cant reliably swap it every night so i will prob just mount it i think. Seen some cages you can get To go inside to protect the beardie from the bulb so time to go shopping. Thank you for your advice! One last question is what afford thermastat has a good reccomendation for the CHE? Seen pulse ones, dimmer ones and on/off ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom