Fake/Damaged UVB bulb??

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
So i moved my 75 gallon that i got a few days ago into my room, I set it up for Venus who is now inside it running around quite confused. My mother is getting the top currently, but i thought i should position the uvb bulb over her enclosure since i could easily do that in the meantime.

The bulb looks fine and almost completely normal except for a few minor details, the ends are a bit off, not the same color as my other uvb bulbs. And the labeling is also off, which is worrying.

I tried turning it on in the fixture i put it in but it didnt work, so i went over turned off Neptunes fixture and put the bulb inside there, turned it on and instead of the bright light i expected, both ends flashed a orange color before fading out like it turned off. So I turned it off and took it out, currently its sitting next to Venus's tank

I really wanted to get her moved to a larger tank today so i could start cleaning out her old 50 gallon for the juvenile bearded I was planning to get at the expo on the 21st, however I'm not sure if I can do that now since the UVB bulb is very worrying and I have no Idea whether its fake, damaged or if theres anything i can do to make it work correctly.
Its from the same exact seller I've gotten all my previous UVB bulbs from, ZANY Values on Amazon.

The golden/copper like one is Neptunes, the more silver colored one is the new bulb for Venus.
89510-6794207715.jpg
89510-9315387760.jpg
89510-9596894276.jpg
It also has small print near the top that says " J61927 "

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's odd, never heard of anything like that. So it does not work now ? If so it may have been a bad bulb. I don't know if there are fake ones floating around out there. Can you contact the company ?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I tried a few more times but it didnt do anything again last night, my mom suggested it was possibly burnt out and she ended up just doing a refund on amazon so we're sending it back either today or tomorrow once i get it packaged up again to get the refund.

I tried actually calling Zoomed about it to see if they changed anything with the design of the bulbs but since it was a sunday and past 5 pm they didnt answer it.

I ended up actually looking at acradias tube lights they have and purchased two of the D3+ 46" 14% tube lights to try them out and see how good they are, I of course dont have solarmeter but since they're a higher percentage of uvb i thought possibly the beardies would like them better. If they work out really well I'll probably switch the tube lights i have over to that once they stop producing uvb.

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-d3-ho-t5-14-uvb-dragon-lamp-46-inch/

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't have test results for those but they are quite powerful. I wouldn't put one closer than about 14-15'' and they may be better at around 18-20'' perhaps. Hard to say for sure without a Solarmeter reading though.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah I figured they were quite powerful, the tanks they're going over are 75 gallons (48x21x18) so it should be okay hopefully and Venus and Neptune will have places to escape from the uvb if needed. I dont exactly have Venus's setup ready yet but tomorrow Im getting it ready most likely and putting her in there with a megaray MVB bulb until they come.

Currently Neptune has about four or so places to get to lower levels of uvb if she wants. Possibly five if you count her hammock that she regularly sleeps/naps on, since it is somewhat out of the way of the uvb bulb but still close to it.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Cooper, the 14% bulbs are very strong and if too close, could cause some issues especially with the eyes. Would be a good idea to check with Todd Goode from light your reptiles to see what distance he would recommend. He's a very nice guy and is good about answering emails right away, if fact, he even encourages phone calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom