Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho light fixture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peep18

what light fixture should i use for mounting the Zoo Med 26061 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent Lamp, 22" inside the tank? i see a regular walmart one but it dosent have a reflector i cant really find any with a reflector that look like they can be mounted inside.

Peep18

Original Poster
Should i even mount the t5 inside the tank? I heard it could be too much? Tank is 19 inches tall

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can hang the sunblaster from a fixed top or hang it from a wire. It won't sit flush on a tank top though because the bulb sticks out below the fixture a bit. https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/

At 19'' tall it's a toss up. I'd probably mount it on top of the tank and built the basking site a bit higher if you can. Within about 12'' of the bulb which will give 7'' of climbing space. If you're shining the light through a fine mesh top you'll want the light to be about 10'' from the basking spot to help make up for what the mesh intercepts.

If you want a lay flat fixture you could go with a ReptiSun hood and just replace the 5.0 bulb that comes with it. A ReptiSun 10 or Arcadia 12% 22'' T5 will fit that fixture.

You could also go with one of the fixtures from light your reptiles. They come with a great Arcadia 12% bulb and will sit flush or can be hung from a ceiling easily. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Peep18":1h2ln7cr said:
Should i even mount the t5 inside the tank? I heard it could be too much? Tank is 19 inches tall

If the tank is 19 inches tall , the bar tube mounted in a elcheapo Walmart domestic t5ho tube fixture (no reflector , assuming the plastic diffuser is removed) will supply virtually zero (under 20 microW UVB / sq.cm at the floor of the viv (your dragon will spend most it's time there) and you'll need to arrive a basking spot no more than 6 inches from the bare tube to get adequate levels of UVA & UVB (ie 180 -200 microW UVB / sq.cm see this :
compare_uvb_no_reflectors_distance_curves.png

The curve for the t8 12%ubv is a good approx to the situation , or simply multiply the UVB fluxes for the t5ho 12%uvb by 5/6 x 1/2 = 5/12 and you'll have the fluxes at any give distance from the bare t5ho 10%uvb tube.
... from viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611&p=1811914#p1811914

Peep18

Original Poster
CooperDragon":amxl9wmu said:
You can hang the sunblaster from a fixed top or hang it from a wire. It won't sit flush on a tank top though because the bulb sticks out below the fixture a bit. https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904296-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUBDQ/

At 19'' tall it's a toss up. I'd probably mount it on top of the tank and built the basking site a bit higher if you can. Within about 12'' of the bulb which will give 7'' of climbing space. If you're shining the light through a fine mesh top you'll want the light to be about 10'' from the basking spot to help make up for what the mesh intercepts.

If you want a lay flat fixture you could go with a ReptiSun hood and just replace the 5.0 bulb that comes with it. A ReptiSun 10 or Arcadia 12% 22'' T5 will fit that fixture.

You could also go with one of the fixtures from light your reptiles. They come with a great Arcadia 12% bulb and will sit flush or can be hung from a ceiling easily. http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/
https://i.imgur.com/SH0loGd.jpg this is how my tank is so i think really my only option is to mount it inside the tank? will it be safe still?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It should be safe if you keep it about 12'' above the basking area, that just leaves little room for climbing. Do you have other animals in the house? If not perhaps you could leave the top off. Rest the UVB fixture across the top and hang the basking light from an adjustable stand. That solution isn't safe if there are other animals in the house though.

Peep18

Original Poster
CooperDragon":37gtvca3 said:
It should be safe if you keep it about 12'' above the basking area, that just leaves little room for climbing. Do you have other animals in the house? If not perhaps you could leave the top off. Rest the UVB fixture across the top and hang the basking light from an adjustable stand. That solution isn't safe if there are other animals in the house though.
i have a megaray 100watt for his basking spot. should i put the reptisun 10.0 on the hotside middle or cool side?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
On the hot side next to the basking light. The 100w MegaRay produces good UVB at 10-12'' but has a fairly narrow beam so the T5 will be a good compliment to it. It's not really needed with the T5 though so if you want to use it as a portable lamp outside the tank it will work well. You can just use a halogen flood light for basking heat and bright light when the T5 is in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom