Work in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
So I have a medium sized tank for my beardie. He currently has a basking lamp and a UVB tube light that have been thoroughly approved by all the experts as the best that I can afford. He seems to be thriving in it right now when I rescued him from my sister he had some MDB in his jaw. It still makes a funny popping noise when he opens his mouth, but it's not as bad as it used to be. He has a basking Hideaway Rock. A rather small water dish that he walks in and out of on occasion and then licks his feet which is disgusting but whatever floats his boat right. His salad dish and a bug dish. The worms usually Escape. He currently does not have anything on the bottom of his enclosure. It's just the glass. Is there anything else that he needs? He's got one of those stick on thermometers that's at his head level when he's sitting on his basking Rock and it currently says 95 in there.

I have been told by some of my friends to take his water dish out and to get one of those dripper boxes. What are your thoughts on those?

When my sister had this lizard she had one half of the tank with a basking light no UVB light and a ginormous rock that she found outside. And the other half of the tank had some of those plastic stick on Jungle leaves and she would spray the jungle leaves with water and try to convince me that he would lick the water off of the leaves and that's how he got his water. But at the same time when she would release Cricket that's the first place they go and he wouldn't be able to find any of them because it was so dense. I've basically taken everything out even that huge outdoor rock. I think she had a stick in there too and he fell off the stick when he was trying to climb. And that's when she decided to put the Rock in there.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad to hear he's doing better. You might try a curved dish to help keep the worms from escaping. If he is licking his feet to get water, I would try dripping water on his nose to lick up and see if he likes that. It's a good way to offer extra hydration. Instead of a stick on thermometer, I suggest using a temp gun like this https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK or a couple of digital thermometers with probes like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ (one for the basking surface and one for the cool side surface). That will give you a more accurate reading of the temperature gradient so you can adjust the temps as needed. You want the basking surface to range from about 100-110 and the cool side surface should be around 75-80 or so.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has a curved dish for food. My dad has a temp gun i do use it from time to time. The stock thermometer I mostly use as reference. Its not 100% accurate but I know if it's close to 95 its close to being right. Ive also noticed if the temp is correct he will poop in his tank.. Otherwise i need to poop him in the tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom